Is there any hope for this 6.9L or does anyone want parts off of it?

spock1996

Reaction score
I got this engine from a friend, the guy he got it from said it had a burnt valve so my friend changed one head and it didnt help. I started taking it apart found all 8 glow plugs burnt out thinking this might not be too bad, till #6 had no compression. pulled the head to find the piston turned a 1/4 turn and beat to hell with the cylinder cracked all over.:eek:

You must be registered for see images attach

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is pretty bad, but that flattened piston makes a good conversation piece. Oil cooler is probably still good.

spock1996

Reaction score
do these things have sleves? the cylinder is all cracked up and looks like it is coming outward

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
There is a slight chance that block can be reused if you sleeve it.Depends on the cracks and if there are any holes.if it is just a couple small cracks or gouges then it could be strong enough to hold a sleeve....but chances are it is worth $11 a 100 now.

spock1996

Reaction score
do these things have cast in cylinder sleeves? the bad cylinder is pushed above the deck

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think there sleeved, but there may be enough meat there to bore the block. Maybe even bore and sleeve.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Neither the 6.9 nor the 7.3 are factory sleeved but... If you are seeing the sleeve in the bad cylinder has come up out of the block.... You have some problems... That tells me this bad cylinder has been sleeved before. Why is the biggets question and did it happen again is the second biggest questions you need to ask. Not all bad either... Maybe you could sleeve it again but... Maybe its been sleeved wrong and that why it broke up so bad. Usually a 6.9 is never sleeved but they can be bored without issues. So you want to know if this motor can be saved.... Doughtful is my answer. Someone with plenty of sleeve experiance would need to take a close look at it after they removed the sleeve.... Not very costly... Just time that might be waisted..... Sorry for the not so good news..... Its a shame to loose another block like this.....

spock1996

Reaction score
here are some picts of what im talking about, every cylinder on this side has an edge like they all have sleeves but this one pushed up

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do they look at the bottom of the bore? Oh, say about 1/4" to 1/2" up? Any gaps? And I wouldn't trust the oil cooler either. Or the crank. Or that rod. Or that oil pump. Or that head. Or that block. I wouldn't even trust the push rods. The rockers are most likely old style. My take on it is that it's just some pulleys, manifolds, flywheel and sheet metal, maybe an I/P and lines. Hopefully some BB or D code injectors. Not a pretty one. I've got a 91 7.3 prettier than that that's out in the "pile" (scrap) right now and all it did was drop a piece of the valve about 1/4" square.

spock1996

Reaction score
this cylinder has cracks, gashes, and holes. Its one of the worst i have seen and i didnt even get to kill it. its going to the scrap pile.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is starting to make sense now!:eek:

Dave Sponaugle on FTE (IDI forum moderator) had several reman engines do this to him. His situation was the ONLY other case I ever saw of an engine with a rotated piston, cracked block and shifted sleeve. The 3rd engine they sent him got torn down right on the shipping crate where he found the sleeve already dropped. I think the brand was "revivia".

Several months later he finally got his refund after much fighting. In the end he went out and bought the cheapest core he could find on short notice from a wrecker. Without any known history of the engine, he built that 6.9 into a fire breathing moster that has outlived all the rebuilt engines put together. His story is why I, and many others, are very skeptical of any sleeve job in an IDI. From what I remember the method that was used in his case was some sort of locktite goop that was supposed to glue them in place.

My bet is this is one of those "glue-in" engines.

I've since heard from members here on OBN that there are better ways to install sleeves that use sholders, and better interference fitting to prevent a dislodged sleeve. I seriously doubt this block can be salvaged.

spock1996

Reaction score
the guy my friend got this from said it was a reman or oh not to long before my friend got the truck and that stuff is locktite sleeve retainer, ive never used it but ive seen it