Is my trailer hitch strong enough?

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i got to looking at my trailer hitch, and a bronco i also have.....and the hitches are identical. In looking at the hitch it seems light duty for a truck that tows 10k+. With a 4' pry bar inserted into the hitch, my 190lbs can deflect it down maybe a 1/16-1/8" My question is, is this hitch up to the task? Or should i build a new one or buy one like this?

Here is the current hitch. It is very similar to most i have seen of this era.
You must be registered for see images

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Here's a couple of pics of mine for a comparison.

Attachments

• hitch.jpg
    hitch.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 19
  • hitch 2.jpg
    hitch 2.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 17

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I dont like those little ones. My 86 has one on it but I have a Reese class V to replace it. But for a bronco, it think you will be just fine with the small one. IIRC the bronco is only rated to tow 5k at most anyway

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you find that hitch in a box of ******* jack? that thing doesnt look like itll take much of a beating at all.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
My bad. Just reread your original post. That is the hitch on your PICKUP:idiot:

While i have towed more with less, yes, It would be a piece of mine getting a bigger hitch. Just remember, it still will only have (6) 1/2" bolts holding it on. And your TRUCK is not rated to town much more that 10k, no matter how big the hitch is

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a bigger hitch I have a titan on my 87. I've slung around tri-axle equipment trailers loaded with a D4 on it with my 87 and never had an issue. Stopping took some planning even with trailer brakes but the hitch never complained.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bad. Just reread your original post. That is the hitch on your PICKUP:idiot:

While i have towed more with less, yes, It would be a piece of mine getting a bigger hitch. Just remember, it still will only have (6) 1/2" bolts holding it on. And your TRUCK is not rated to town much more that 10k, no matter how big the hitch is

true but it can easily handle much more than 10k. plus the shear strength of 6-8 1/2" grade 8 bolts it fairly more than what it will see. If i build one it will mount to both the side and bottom of the frame.....

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
true but it can easily handle much more than 10k. plus the shear strength of 6-8 1/2" grade 8 bolts it fairly more than what it will see. If i build one it will mount to both the side and bottom of the frame.....

those bolts are in both shear AND tension. and dont underestimate the power of those bolts...
taken from another website...

Yield, shear and tensile strengths are all different things. Basically (meaning there is much more to it than this), the yield strength is the stress level at which a permanent deformation occurs in tension. The tensile strength is the highest strength a bolt achieves before failure in tension. The shear strength is the strength of the fastener under shear loading, which is normal to the axis of the bolt. There are different types of shear stress, depending on the installed application.

In general, the tensile strength of a grade 5 fastener is 120,000 psi, and the strength of a grade 8 fastener is 150,000 psi. While usually referred to as tensile strength, these numbers are actually tensile stress levels. The shear strength is usually about 50-60% of the tensile strength. So to get the tensile strength of a 1/2" bolt, you would multiply the tensile strength by the cross sectional area of the bolt, which would be :

Tensile Stress x bolt radius squared x Pi
-or-

Grade 5 - 120000 x .0625 x 3.14 = 23550 lbs.
Grade 8 - 150000 x .0625 x 3.14 = 29452 lbs.

The shear strength of this same 1/2" bolt would then be:

Grade 5 - 23550 lbs x .6 = 14130 lbs
Grade 8 - 29452 lbs x .6 = 17671 lbs.

However, the tensile stress area of a fastener is somewhat less than it's nominal diameter would suggest. For a 1/2" bolt, the tensile stress area would actually be .142 for a coarse thread bolt and .160 for a fine thread bolt. So a more accurate tensile strength would be 17040 lbs for a coarse grade 5 bolt, 19200 for a fine thread grade 5 bolt, 21300 for a coarse grade 8 bolt and 24000 for a fine thread.
I'll let you calculate the shear strength of these bolts. Sounds like your bolt will be in double shear vs single shear, which changes the overall strength also. The real problem I see here is accurately determining the real load that these bolts will see.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/general-discussion-non-vintage-mustang/495841-shear-strength-1-2-bolt-high-grade.html

post #5....good info there

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a couple shots of mine. I just didn't like the looks of what I could find available for my truck. The sides are 3/8th bent plate, the cross members are 3" square, and the plates around the tube in the chain area are 1/4".

I ask around on several welding forums and received many replies that the factory hitchs, even the heavy ones will fail in due time with the heavy tongue weights I see combined with rust, time, and heavy braking.

This hitch sees 1100 lbs plus every time I hook to the BBQ trailer. The trailer is 9000lbs dry, just loaded 1/3rd of a cord of wood in it last night. And I still have to load meat, beer, and ice. So far no ill effects.

You must be registered for see images attach