is it safe to run on 7 cylinders( pulled injector)?

mcbg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1" piece of triangle file stuck in the copper washer in the #1 cylinder and cant get it out. would I damage anything by running the engine without this injector?
will the different temps warp the head?
I can route the fuel to the #1 inj. back to the return so that wont be a problem.
should i cover the inj. opening so nothing gets in?--I could put the top half of an old inj. back in, but I want the compression to shoot the file and washer out.
I may try jbweld to close the opening between the file and the washer so there is psi to shoot them out.
im 50 miles from a machine shop.
the gp is stuck this this cylinder also(not worried about it)
Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Have you tried blowing it out by just cranking the motor... Running the motor will not be a good thing on 7 cylinders. It will shake violently. Installing part of an injector will not stop the compression from blowing out the top of the injector. Use just a little pb blaster or aerokroil and try to wiggle the file. It hopefully isn't stuck too deep into the head. The taper is such that its probably just caught near the top of the bore....

mcbg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes I cranked the motor, nothing. soaked it in kroil for 4 days(started to worry about hydrolocking). the file is snapped off flush with the washer.

Installing part of an injector will not stop the compression from blowing out the top of the injector.. ..................... that would be fine by me not worried about my hood.

mcbg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one reason that cranking didnt budge it is because there is a opening between the washer and file that the compression can escape through, so i epoxy over this opening?

or ... maybe the exhaust valve is stuck open, so it cant build compression?----------------------would blowing compressed air into the inj, opening and not feeling it blow back at me be a way to test for a stuck open valve?

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The valve is likely not stuck, you just stopped the engine when it was at the exhaust stroke for that cylinder - turn the engine over by hand one revolution, should bring you to the compression cycle, which has both valves closed.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you take a screw driver and grind a notch in the tip that will fit in the spaces between the hole and file? I'm thinking that maybe you can loosen the file with a twist motion then remove with needlenose pliers or hemostat.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can totally run your engine on 7 cylinders, whether or not is a good idea is debatable. I would think it to be a bad idea myself. I've run the engine on 4 cylinders by cracking injector lines in order to figure out of my engine was shot or if I had injectors leaking.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be afraid to do it with something stuck in the whole. Always a chance it might suck it in, instead of blow it out. ;Really