Is it possible to weld on the valley pan?

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am at my wits end here with my banks drain tube leaking oil where it enter the valley pan. I have replaced the grommet 2 times and it still starts to leak within a couple months!! I am considering welding a hose barb onto the valley and then connecting a hose to the drain tube. Any thoughts on this, has this been done before, any tips on welding on it, is the valley steel? My brother said it would be too dangerous to do it while it is on the engine.

Thanks so much!

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Ok just wanted to make sure of the usual issues. Im not sure what material the valley pan is made of. I do assume it would involve removing it to do so to it. I wouldn't see why it wouldnt work with welding some type of hose barb. Do you have a spare valley pan to try it on?

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might punch some more holes in just to be safe.

No pan to try on and I need the truck on friday. I thought I read about some guy welding a barb on his pan but I'm not sure...

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I welded a 3/4 (I believe) hose barb to the valley pan and cut the banks drain, about 2" down, and used a 3/4 (i think) heater hose to finish the connection. I don't remember if I took any pictures, I'll have to look.

AHA!!! I will be sending him a pm......

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Is it possible to weld on the valley pan?
If it is metal it can be welded.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh certainly, thats my train of thought. But is it safe to do it while its on the truck? And what metal is the valley? I have a hobart buzz box so I have the stuff, I just need advice and the practicality of it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online