Is it possible to weld on the valley pan?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Has anyone removed andinstalled the valley pan gasket. If the plug that fits in the rear hole isn'tinstalled there is noway the pan can seal tothe rear of the block. Its tuff to located said drain plug. Its got a 3/8 inch hex in it so it can be tightened down on the pan and hold it tight to the rear of the block. Use a flashlite and mirror. Maybe you can located it. Its back of the old cdr drain location that now is the turbo oil return to the pan. Where you felt the oil leak was coming from...

gatorman21218

Reaction score
It if aint clean enough to have rtv stick, it sure as heck aint clean enough to weld it. And a 1/8 5P rod, while it can weld a pile of rust flakes together, will burn through that sheet metal before you can even strike an arc.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not mine, late 99 PSD did this

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You are correct sir... I completely forgot about the hazardous gas that welding after you have cleaned something with brakeclean......

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap, was just welding with my MIG last week after cleaning with brake fluid. Guess the only thing that saved me was I had a big fan blowing in my direction. THANK YOU THANK YOU for that info, "whoda" thought.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
You are correct sir... I conpletely forgot about the hazardous gas that welding after you have cleaned something with brakeclean......

Sorry, I didn't mean to call ya out, but wanted to make sure to warn others... Don't need our members poising themselves.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
WOW!!!!! HOLY S**T!!!!!!!!

I grab a can of carb clean, or brake clean, head out front and start cleaning the layer of crap off of stuff..... never knew that stuff could become a poison that easily. I guess we all know about ammonia and chlorine (Bleach).... but stuff in a spray can.... don't really think about it. I do not have a welder at the house, but have access to one. I will have to remember this. I always try to take what I am cleaning outside..... since I have an attached garage and do not like the odor penetrating the house..... so if that is a part, or the whole thing it normally gets rolled outside......

Remember to call Dad and let him know when I get home..... he has the welder.....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope... I didn't feel you called me out... I just had forgotten all about that stuff and welding.
That welded drain on the valley pan shows lots of interesting stuff too. Your able to see where the rear drain plug with the 3/8 hex in it is. If thats not there or its not tight you will have leaks out and in. Neither is a good thing either. And just back from the edge of the pan at the block is the oil pressure sender location. Now thats a terrible place for it...

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now thats a terrible place for it...

You could say that again, I had one heck of a time putting a 1/8npt plug at the bottom of the long connecting bolt/tube. It is very difficult, especially with big hands.:mad:

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I'm sure every welder and his cousin knows that welding on galvanized creates some bad fumes, but I was unaware of how bad that brake clean was. Thanks Uncle Sam and California for putting so many warning labels that they arent effective anymore.

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not mine, late 99 PSD did this

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks, It took me a bit to find that pic.

Its a hose barb welded to a large washer, that is then welded to the valley pan, then followed up with a healthy coating of cold weld/ JB weld because I did NOT want to do it again. So far it been working great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online