is it injectors and pump time

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
assume its time for both since i dont even know the mileage

other day i had a knock sound start, so i added a large dose of diesel kneel. thinking a sticky injector because it was only here and there, seemed to clear up but there was still a miss

passed few days the knock has been gone, but i still have a light miss under light throttle and a large miss under heavy throttle along with barely feeling it in 1st and badly in 5th (zf5 btw)
so i start to check it out my self looking for a bad injector, find no change in drivers rear injector. i was like sweet, i have 8 old ones from my old motor after changing it out. took the best looking one out of 8 and swapped it out.. figured it would get me by because i had plans to get a pump and injectors and do the swap once it warmed back up in the spring..

fire it up and crack the line notice a miss with line cracked when before there wasnt a change. so i cleaned up and took it for a ride.. same issue lumpy rpm band and feels like its on 7 cylinders. theres no smoke starting hasn't changed fires right up and still fires good this morning in 32* morning. just feels down 1 cylinder.

thanks for any input

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any off beat or huff from exhaust or chuff in intake?

How many miles on this setup?

Try running diesel purge through system, then let soak over night and fire it back up and finish purge...do advanced search tech 101 in thread title and my username you will find the thread I"m speaking of.

Just my thoughts if you stop it part way through and let soak, then finish the next day, everythings got a chance to get cleaned.

For 3 bottles and some work it's time well wasted IMHO

Or pay the price of admittance and get injectors and IP.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna get injectors and a pump I just wanted to be sure no huffing out exhaust or intake other wise runs ant sounds good other then a miss, I bought the motor used so the whole thing is unknown miles

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check your compression and then move on to the injection system, no need to waste money on an engine with low compression. I just replaced my injectors with some from typ 4 and it really smoothed out the idle and helped a little with cold starts, can't say about the mileage yet. The biggest difference is the slight miss I had is now gone.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When injecters wear down several things happen. First the springs loose some pressure. That in turn changes that cylinder timing because a low pop pressure sends fuel into that cylinder earlier than the other cylinders. Sometimes the pintle wears and leaks or sticks open on occasion. A leaking pintle allows fuel to continue to dump into the cylinder causing cylinder wall wash down. Not a good thing. If the pintle sticks open that cylinder makes a knock from the fuel igniting so early. It sounds like a rod knock too. Also a stuck open pintle will allow hot combustion gas to run back up the hard line heating it up. That has burned thru the plastic return line caps too on some engines.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When injecters wear down several things happen. First the springs loose some pressure. That in turn changes that cylinder timing because a low pop pressure sends fuel into that cylinder earlier than the other cylinders. Sometimes the pintle wears and leaks or sticks open on occasion. A leaking pintle allows fuel to continue to dump into the cylinder causing cylinder wall wash down. Not a good thing. If the pintle sticks open that cylinder makes a knock from the fuel igniting so early. It sounds like a rod knock too. Also a stuck open pintle will allow hot combustion gas to run back up the hard line heating it up. That has burned thru the plastic return line caps too on some engines.

I checked for hot lines last night non were hit to touch and I used a heat gone non were over 110* after 10 min run I just realized I didn't check the last injector on pass side behind my glow plug controller maybe I'll be lucky?

Also would I have lots of smoke if a cylinder was dead on compresson?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A dead cylinder usually sucks oil thru it. Then your exhaust is blue. If the injecter is stuck closed and there is good compression its going to run really ruff. 7 cylinders usually run horrible.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A dead cylinder usually sucks oil thru it. Then your exhaust is blue. If the injecter is stuck closed and there is good compression its going to run really ruff. 7 cylinders usually run horrible.

no smoke and now the miss is hit and miss. i picked up a new fuel filter and some more diesel kleen/power service. the miss is so bad some times it will shake my dash to it feeling perfectly fine.. and no smoke any time.. last 2 days my glow plug contorller has been getting stuck on ive had to tap it to get it to shut off wonder how longs thats been happening..... maybe related?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Whats happening sounds like its a bad injecter or the injection pump is telling you the time is now for a replacement. When you replace the injecters and pump make sure you beg borrow or rent a timing meter to time the engine. guessing the timing is "good enough" will leave plenty of hp and fuel mileage on the table. Those timing marks on the pump and housing mean nothing to time by. They are simply a line that the factory placed there when they timed the engine. Now those are of no meaning because usually by this time the pump has been changed several times and every rebuilt pump is internally timed differently. Mel at Conestoga Diesel Injection can explain more why this is so. We don't have a simple small block chevy where you can remove one distributer and instal another and make it nearly the same timing just by how you install it. Our is infinantly variable.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats happening sounds like its a bad injecter or the injection pump is telling you the time is now for a replacement. When you replace the injecters and pump make sure you beg borrow or rent a timing meter to time the engine. guessing the timing is "good enough" will leave plenty of hp and fuel mileage on the table. Those timing marks on the pump and housing mean nothing to time by. They are simply a line that the factory placed there when they timed the engine. Now those are of no meaning because usually by this time the pump has been changed several times and every rebuilt pump is internally timed differently. Mel at Conestoga Diesel Injection can explain more why this is so. We don't have a simple small block chevy where you can remove one distributer and instal another and make it nearly the same timing just by how you install it. Our is infinantly variable.

this is the plan just need a few more buck i was hoping it would have held out for at least a few more months..

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a sticking injector. When one of those starts sticking, the whole engine shakes like blazes - and it can be an intermittent problem. It happened to me after I installed some "reconditioned" injectors. Only new injectors since that day and my truck runs real smooth in comparison.
Just thought I would mention what I had - HTH
mariner

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
At this point its hard to tell you replace the injecters and not the pump cause the pump can be the problem. But if the injecters don't fix the problem then a rebuilt pump will fix it. Changing the pump and not the injecters will be a bigger job. If the pump is failing it can send crap to the injecters. So its a guessing game as to whats the problem.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point its hard to tell you replace the injecters and not the pump cause the pump can be the problem. But if the injecters don't fix the problem then a rebuilt pump will fix it. Changing the pump and not the injecters will be a bigger job. If the pump is failing it can send crap to the injecters. So its a guessing game as to whats the problem.

im just gonna change both and be good for another 10+years thanks for you input

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok.. Changing both the pump and injecters plus the fuel filter is the best idea for many more years of faithful service from this engine but. Buying cheaply rebuilt injecters or injection pump will not last very long. they can't last long because some are just cleaned or teted and then sold as rebuilt. Thats a big scam going on in the injecter-injection pump world especially on ebay. Stay away from the Tenn ebay sellers or please read the hall of shame for good advice on where NOT to buy.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok.. Changing both the pump and injecters plus the fuel filter is the best idea for many more years of faithful service from this engine but. Buying cheaply rebuilt injecters or injection pump will not last very long. they can't last long because some are just cleaned or teted and then sold as rebuilt. Thats a big scam going on in the injecter-injection pump world especially on ebay. Stay away from the Tenn ebay sellers or please read the hall of shame for good advice on where NOT to buy.

good to agnem so ill be all good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online