IP timing / turning up pump

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my pump has not been timed since installation quite some time ago, i am finally adding a perometer here in the next week.. my question is does the pump timing matter if i plan to turn the pump up? with adding the perometer i figure i can safely turn the pump up some now and monitor EGT..

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You never had it timed so you don't know where the timing is at truly, better install the PYROMETER, before turning it up. The Moose was probably set for the BB injectors. Then get it timed by a meter. Call Conestoga diesel, ask Mel.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I know you said you tow pretty regularly so I would hook on to the load and set the fuel by the load, try to find the hardest pull around and set it where you are comfortable on that pull, but yes timing will affect egts, power, mileage, everything pretty much

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guess i will call a couple shops around me and see if any of them have a clue on timing the pump.. then i will see about turning it up.. should have pyro within the week.. and yeah my truck is primarily for pulling my play toy around... so pulling power and fuel economy is what i am chasing..

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with getting them to do timing. Most will say they will time it but will actually time it by ear. What you need to do is PM Icanfixall and ask about his timing Meter rental service.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i could that too... just wasn't sure how difficult it would be to understand the process is all..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i could that too... just wasn't sure how difficult it would be to understand the process is all..
Did you replace the IP yourself? If so you can time it yourself. It's not like thermonuclear engineering and building rocket ships to go to Mars, however if you can time a gasser, you can probably time a diesel, especially these ones!

JM2CW

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Today I have one kent moore j33300-A meter available. tomorrow is another story. to use these meters is simple. I offer my phone number along with the simple use instructions. You can call me any time of day or nite with questions too. Please pm me for more information. My fee is $70.00 for a 5 day rental. Thats about 4 days 23 hours more than you need. An additional 5 day rental is another $35.00... Turing up the pump has no bearing on the timing but it sure changes how you use the truck. Please do not turn up the pump till you have the pyro installed. Its very unsafe to blindly turn up a pump without a pyro. doing that can melt pistons because you can't see the exhaust temps.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In addition to what Gary said, if you have your Pyro installed, you can do some testing with different settings, Timing at different points 7.5 8.5 9.5 etc and mark each one, then you have pre determined timing locations and can test with your pump being turned up at different levels as well, and find the best timing/pump tuning for your application!

JM2CW

Al

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks fellas.. i had help from another member with IP install... but i should be ok on my own with timing it... i will get with you icanfixall..gonna install my pyro first then will see about getting the equipment you have..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online