IP suddenly stopped pumping

jeffgordon24

91 f250 kingcab 4*4
Reaction score
have you checked your lift pump (mechanical pump )it might be the one at fault

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update on this . The IP was getting fuel (lift pump OK) . A friend who is a diesel mechanic when through everything found nothing wrongy with the installation and told me that it was very likely a bad rebuild ( pump was reassembled improperly making it out of time) . My friend told me to return the pump for refund and to get another elsewhere. I did return the pump but still have purchase another yet . The truck is a part time viehicle so this is not a priority . I am looking negotiating with the local sohp again , MWFI and even ebay for another DB2-5028 or DB2-5013 IP . Has this situation with Dieselcare improved ( still deserve to be in OB "Hall of Shame)? Does anyone here have experience with pumps fro ebay seller "Hector with injectors " ( Diesel Injection Services - Phoenix,AZ)

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
With the attitude Deisel Care has shown,and the amount of problems-I doubt they will ever be trustworthy. Some things are bred or born a certain way & they appear to be both bred and born to be a screwup.

79 300sd

Reaction score
I allways let mine idle down when switching fuels. Had a friend lose and ip while switching to wvo at highway speeds. He is now letting his return to idle when switching and has not had any more problems.

I have a piezo timing tool if you need help getting it timed. I am NW of Atlanta off I75 at exit 277.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I think you'll have a mighty hard time getting anyone to warranty an IP that has seen WVO. Its highly probable that whoever built your pump messed up and that is the reason for the failure. These DB2s may be simple but the clearances are close and even a good builder bombs one once in awhile. Diesel Care seems to have an inordinate amount of bad pumps and sure doesn't bend over backwards to make it right. That usually means substandard parts or bad quality control. I'd buy elsewhere. I'm not saying you shouldn't use WVO, becuase most of the time its ok even on a rotary pump as long as its clean and heated, but be aware there are times when it will cause these pumps to break a shaft and quit pumping. Its part of the risk, only you can determine if the reward is worth it.

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you about the warranty so that is why I want good reman IP to begin with . Dieselcare is so tempting because of the price and their ebay feedback is (deceiviingly?) still good and haven't seen a whole lot more recent bad posts about them here and on the other diesel forum, I am on the fence about using WVO again ( maybe just us a blend next time around ) I think mine failed because I performed the swithchover too soon ..
- Thankss

I hate to say it, but I think you'll have a mighty hard time getting anyone to warranty an IP that has seen WVO. Its highly probable that whoever built your pump messed up and that is the reason for the failure. These DB2s may be simple but the clearances are close and even a good builder bombs one once in awhile. Diesel Care seems to have an inordinate amount of bad pumps and sure doesn't bend over backwards to make it right. That usually means substandard parts or bad quality control. I'd buy elsewhere. I'm not saying you shouldn't use WVO, becuase most of the time its ok even on a rotary pump as long as its clean and heated, but be aware there are times when it will cause these pumps to break a shaft and quit pumping. Its part of the risk, only you can determine if the reward is worth it.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked with International on the IP. I paid $380 for an IP from them in September. They willl get you the correct specification pump for your truck. I had mine in 1 day no shipping charges. Core would've been $400 but I brought mine in when I picked up the new one so no core. You said the shaft is not broken correct? I would at least check with them.

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be great. The shaft on my appeare to be broken internally - ie it doesn't fall out of the housing . Hopefully the IH dealer would accept my core as long as it is not in pieces . Could please PM me the name and contact # of the IH dealer where you purchased yours . -Thanks

Have you checked with International on the IP. I paid $380 for an IP from them in September. They willl get you the correct specification pump for your truck. I had mine in 1 day no shipping charges. Core would've been $400 but I brought mine in when I picked up the new one so no core. You said the shaft is not broken correct? I would at least check with them.

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No luck at the local IH dealer. The local diesel injection pump shop will give me no core credit ( wants $400 core fee) . I could buy a Borg Warner reman at a local chain auto parts store for about $575 or so (I think that they will take my core ) but might be chancing getting crappy production type work (like those poorly rebuilt generators and starters those places sell ) . I am also hunting around for a core that I can take to the local pump shop.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Quit telling the vendor it has a broke shaft!

First of all if the shaft is still in the housing and turns and the shaft is not falling out don't volunteer anymore info. Give them the core and get your new pump they are going to send it in and if the core is rejected ohh well you have yours and they are stuck with it. Happened mant times when I worked for a INT dealer.:angel: :D If you tell them your shaft is broke etc you are screwing yourself. Plus I just bought one @ autozone last week for $275 yes that price was right lifetime warranty. And gave them a locked up pump. You are causing yourself too much heartache by giving them more info than they need.

tractorman86

Reaction score
try spencer diesel (712)262-5267 they do very good work, are fairley priced, and will turn it up for you prob for free. they are over by council bluffs IA IIRC

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
First of all if the shaft is still in the housing and turns and the shaft is not falling out don't volunteer anymore info. Give them the core and get your new pump they are going to send it in and if the core is rejected ohh well you have yours and they are stuck with it. Happened mant times when I worked for a INT dealer.:angel: :D If you tell them your shaft is broke etc you are screwing yourself. Plus I just bought one @ autozone last week for $275 yes that price was right lifetime warranty. And gave them a locked up pump. You are causing yourself too much heartache by giving them more info than they need.

You got a part number for that IP? If they only want $275 that is cool.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
90-34732E That is the part number. I just went to the Autozone web site and it now says not available. So I don't know if that is out of stock or discontinued?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online