IP suddenly stopped pumping

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While going down the highway, the engine on my 1994 F250 7.3 IDI N/A suddenly stopped . After getting it towed home, I cracked an injector line, cranked it over and got no fuel . The pump solenoid cutoff does click . I am thinking that the mainshaft might have seized and sheared . Any way to check the pump driveshaft with the pump installed ? What else can I check before I start removing the IP ( I installed this rebuilt IP less than a year ago using the helpful the info here ) ?.:confused:

- Thanks

Last edited:

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran diesel until engine was up to normal temperature then switched over to WVO ( heated 150deg f ) at about 1200 rpm . I want to confirm the problem before pull the pump .

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remove the cover on the passenger side of the pump (the one you remove to turn up the fuel) and crank while observing with a mirror. You should see stuff moving around in there if the shaft isn't snapped when you crank it.

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't ever tried turning up the fuel. Is there a link photo of this cover ? - thanks

Remove the cover on the passenger side of the pump (the one you remove to turn up the fuel) and crank while observing with a mirror. You should see stuff moving around in there if the shaft isn't snapped when you crank it.

Last edited:

aaklingler

Reaction score
Is your ip getting fuel? Push the schrader valve in on the filter head and have somebody crank.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using WVO, I would bet money that the shaft snapped. Mel's method is the easiest. Beofre you go there I'm sure that you've made sure the FSS makes an audible "click" when taken off and put back on, key hot. The viscuous fuel is really ******* DB2 pumps, so is very thin fuel like JetA, JP8 and Kerosene, especially without additive or at very high temps. It seems they like good D2 or Biodiesel and additives seem to help.

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using using a two tank heated WVO system (heated fuel pickup-HOH-heated WVO filter- 26 plate FPHE ) for 3 1/2 years 38,000 miles . The last IP on the truck did not die with a snapped shaft. It had 200k miles on it was just worn out a the advance stopped working according to the diesel shop. This one only has about 6,000 miles on it in so I am not happy about what happened (no warranty of course) . So much for the $ saved on diesel this time .

I will have to go ahead with the Injection pump replacement process . Mel's excellent tutorial ( http://oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3217 ) got me through it before but it was a little awkward R&R dealing with the pump with the lines out and back into the engine compartment . I am halfway wondering if I could make some match marks in the inside of the upper gear cover and gear through the oil fill opening or front plate and use that as long as the engine does not move during the process . I would then pull the gear cover with the gear and the pump . Has anyone here done it this way without trouble ?

I will time it by ear and hopefully find a piezo timing light adapter somewhere .

Last edited:

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am now looking for a replacement IP and am find that the core value on an IP pump with seized head is nothing from my local reputable rebuilder and it would cost me $400 for rebuilt pump $ 400 additional core- making the total around $800 . I have to look elsewhere and find one that has lower (or none) core charge. Any suggestions ? - Thanks

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to go ahead with the Injection pump replacement process . Mel's excellent tutorial ( http://oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3217 ) got me through it before but it was a little awkward R&R dealing with the pump with the lines out and back into the engine compartment . I am halfway wondering if I could make some match marks in the inside of the upper gear cover and gear through the oil fill opening or front plate and use that as long as the engine does not move during the process . I would then pull the gear cover with the gear and the pump . Has anyone here done it this way without trouble ?

I've done it that way no problem. What I do is put a big mark where the dowel points and little marks where the boltheads are.

Just make sure you don't turn the motor with the tower off!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Check out Ebay. I see injection pumps there around $350.00 without the need for a core. Also you can buy core injection pumps there too really cheaper than the $400.00 core you speak of.....

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a Borg Warner remanufactured pump with a 1 year warranty at one of the chain auto parts stores for $525.00+tax . Pricey but it is available at the store tomorrow and beats $800. They told me that any core ( other than disassembled ) is acceptable . Does any one know about the quality of the Borg Warner rebuilt IPs ? - Thanks

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online