IP Storage

w123suv

Reaction score
I replaced my 94 van with a 92 van and have been moving some good parts over. Would like to remove IP because I just had it replaced 20k miles ago and keep it for a spare. New van only has 100k on it so it might be a few years till I need it and I don't know the correct way to store a pump. Seems like just putting it in a box its going to get rusty or gummed up. Am I better off just selling it?

Same question with the injectors which also only have 20k?

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You can do as posted above. For me I would drain out the diesel. Place it in a plastic bag with some desiccant material to absorb any moisture that may creep in. Then place the pump in the bag in a container that has a very good seal on top. Don't place it on the cold concrete floor but put it up on a higher shelf. Seals will dry a bit but its a spare for later. Might not get you home from the dark side of the moon but it will run.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diesel fuel in itself does not gum up, but is susceptable to absorbing water over a long period. The way I would store the IP and injectors would be to plug all the opens on them with what diesel fuel is left in them, then put them in a Zip Lock bag, close them up to the point where you can put a small cocktail straw in them, suck all the air out you can, then close it up quickly. If you have a rebuild shop close, they would have the caps and plugs if you didn't save any. Pic below shows the caps on an IP. Don't have a pic of the injectors, but when you got the, they should have been sealed.

Attachments

• IP Cylinder numbers.JPG
    IP Cylinder numbers.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IP IDLE SCREW.jpg
    IP IDLE SCREW.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member