IP priming questions

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed a new injector pump and I'm having a hard time getting it primed. I usually take the top off the pump and fill it with clean diesel to speed things up but since it is new i am following the instructions and don't want to open it up which would probably void the warranty.

I have been cranking it over with the return line off at the top of the pump , watching for fuel. After each cranking session i hear whining coming from the return line which sounds like air being bleed out , but i think by now i should be seeing fuel. I have fuel at the filter. I dont mind continuing this process but i am worried that it could cause damage to the pump since it is lubricated by the fuel .

Is it going to damage the pump if i continue to crank it over attempting to bleed the air out, if there is no fuel in the pump ?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started doing it with it unhooked , then did it some more with it connected. Shouldn't i be able to fill the pump with fuel without the fss connected ? Keep in mind i am only trying to bleed the air out of the pump at this point, im not trying to bleed the injector lines.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but the way I understand it, the FSS closes off the return line.
So nothing can flow through without it being powered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that thought come to mind , which is why i plugged it in and tried it that way , but it acted the same with the same air bleeding noise after cranking.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The fss needs power to it for the return valve to open and allow fuel to pass thru the pump. Otherwise your pump is dead headed. Not good. If the rebuilt pump came from Mel it will have enough fluid in it to not have any damage from cranking. Another thing you can do is remove the check valve on top of the pump and see when the fuel comes out of that but please.. Never pour clean diesel into the top of the pump. you have no way of knowing the fuel is really clean like when it goes thru the filter first. It may look clean but its the dirt you can't see that ruins the pump. If you want to fill a used pump that way go for it. whats the damage going to be anyway. But a newly rebuilt warranted pump.. nope.. not good.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i prefilled the pumps in the past i always pumped the diesel through my transfer pump so it was filtered. The pump did come from Mel , thats good to know ! I will keep doimg what im doing then and hopefully i will see fuel soon !

Thanks guys !

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok.. So you pump fuel thru your filter and then pour it into the top of the pumps in the past. How do you know the container is clean. I realize I'm being **** here but lets look at the possible trash entry places. The container.. So if you had a long piece of clean hose and you ran fuel thru the filter thru it to make sure its cleaned out. Only then would I use that process to fill the pump. There is not being to clean around a rebuilt injection pump. Really happy to learn you have a pump from Mel. You will be satisfied for many years with that pump.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a small homemade transfer system that i built to fill my pop tester with clean diesel. It has a ball valve at the end with a barb, and after every use i put a rubber cap over the end so it is completely sealed. I fill the pump straight from it, without pouring it in to another container. I think it is clean enough, but i do understand what you are saying and i agree , which is why i have only used it on used pumps ( though i honestly think it is as clean as it gets. )

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So fwiw
My junior went on installed in running fashion ,left all 8 inj nuts loose, 15 seconds of crank time it purged , tightened em up and it fires right up!
I dunno why there would be any reason to do it different?
Maybe I missed sumptin!?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have fuel to the pump now. Batteries are almost done charging so i should have it wrapped up soon. :)

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, it bled extremely fast. It's running ! BUT , it is smoking incredibly bad haha. It started to clear up but it was too dark so i will finish it tomorrow. I cant wait to take it for a spin. Hopefully i dont have a stuck injector or something stupid now.

Thanks guys !

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Dallas,

Good to hear you got a pump from Mel. You should be really happy with it. ;Sweet;Sweet

Just so you know, unless you have a matching rear bumper for sale, ;Poke it doesn't look like I can make it to the Walmart parking lot in Medford to check your timing for you. LOL