IP priming questions

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping it was the timing but it doesn't seem to be. I have messed with the timing a bunch and it is still smoking SUPER bad. My eyes are burning and lungs are full of smoke , i had to take a break. Before replacing the pump I pop tested the injectors.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure its burning coolant. Coolant is disappearing and it looks contaminated. Haha....

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Not good. How did replacing the injector pump make it start burning coolant or was it doing this before?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well , here is the whole story...

First of all , this isnt a 6.9 or 7.3. It is a 6.2 in my burban :) . I snuck it in here becaus the pumps are very similar and the chevy section doesn't get much traffic.

I have been having issues with my only vehicle , my 1994 f250 idi , for awhile now. It is falling apart and I cannot repair it without pulling the engine and trans and going through them , but I can't because it is my only vehicle. Last year i was looking at a parts truck with a zf5 to swap in place of my failing e4od. I passed on the zf but I saw a 1991 3/4 4x4 4l80e 6.2 turbo suburban in the guys yard , which was exactly what i have been wanting for a long time. I talked to him about it , he was very attached to it and was reluctant to let it go , but i paid him what he needed to feel good about selling it. The story was that the previous owner put a new transmission in it , then the engine blew. He bought it and paid a mechanic to install his low mileage 6.2. After the install the mechanic couldn't get it to stay running so it was trailored home and parked ,and it sat there for years. I drug it home and started going over it. I found the fss and cold advance wires were switched , which made it run until the cold advance kicked off which shut the pump down. I switched them around and it ran without shutting off , problem solved ! NOPE. I tried to take it for a spin only to find the tratransmission was shot, turbo poured out oil , and a whole bunch of other nickle and dime things. I bought a new transmission, had the turbo gone through , fixed the other issues and fired it up for a test drive. Now that the transmission was working i realized it had no power , smoked a little and had a dead spot in the rpms. A fellow OB member helped me out with a used pump and injectors , so i installed them. At that point it ran better but would not idle down no matter what i did , i ended up deciding that something internally was damaged during shipping as the box was HAMMERED. This brings me to my current situation. I bought a new pump thinking it must be the problem. From the little running and driving attempts that it did over the year it smoked slightly more and more. Now it flat out pours smoke. NOW , hindsight is telling me many things , but as far as the engine goes .... it probably had a small coolant leak when i first got it which caused the dead spot right off idle, changing the pump seemed to help only because it idled past the previous dead spot due to something broken in the pump , and as time went on the leak got worse.

I don't believe the old man screwed me. I believe he got screwed by the previous owner , and by the mechanic which im sure didn't even swap engines like he was suppose to.

So now im searching for a cheap used 6.2/6.5 because i am into this vehicle way too deep.

All while my trusty old ford has been somehow holding in there !
:)

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to do that in the beginning. I bought the harbor freight compression tester. Of course it didn't fit in the 6.2 or my 7.3. I should have continued down that road..

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Which one did you buy?
One is supposed to have the right adapter.
Should be the same for ford and the gm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It said it would fit 6.2/6.9/7.3 but it wasnt even close. I then read reviews , which i should have done first , because every complains about it not working on these engines.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I unhooked the cross over pipe so I could see if it was coming from the passenger , driver , or both sides. It is definitely coming from the driver side. The passenger side had a few very small puffs but thats it. Here is a video :

http://tinypic.com/r/168sxme/8

Black dawg

Reaction score
what does the smoke smell like? Does the compression sound even while cranking?

For future reference, putting power to the cold advance sol. will let fuel come out of the return of the pump much easier.
The cold advance controls the opening of that port, not the fuel shut off sol. The video is not enough to condemn the motor.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep , the cold advance definitely controls it ! I peaked down the return at the top of the pump , connected the fss to 12v and nothing happened. Then i connected the cold advance.. I saw it open and a stream of diesel shot at my face. It does sound even , though there is a slight ... I dont really know what to call it .. like a burp. Once per revolution. It didn't jump out at me as a problem , but I will check it out and pay closer attention to it.

Edit: The smoke smells ... not really sweet like coolant but not strong of diesel either.. Haha. I wish i could be more exact.

Black dawg

Reaction score
with no power to the fss, crank it, and see if there is a kind of rythmic pattern to the sound of the starter. I wish I could describe this better.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
with no power to the fss, crank it, and see if there is a kind of rythmic pattern to the sound of the starter. I wish I could describe this better.

One cylinder will sound like it lets the starter spin faster. On computer controlled rigs (some at least) you can hook up a monitor, crank it, and it will show the compression for each cylinder, and if one or more is lower than it should be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online