Introducing MOOSE BOOST!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can only put 10 pictures in a post. The Michigan mad man is helping me post these pictures........

Thanks Ron!:hail

You must be registered for see images attach

Heath

Last edited by a moderator:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
K that's nice....can't wait see report on the loaded setup and maybe dyno run!!!

How bout loading images to say photobucket...then you get 15 full size images per post ;) :p

Damn fine looking setup, love some video too!

Thanks for the update!
;Sweet

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this all mounted on a banks sidewinder pedestal? I think I remember that.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many thanks to Heath for taking on this project! I had presented it as designed to fit on the Hypermax platform, but Heath took on a much larger challenge of making it work on a Banks. A lot of custom fab work to be sure! As usual, his craftsmanship is first rate. Thanks for the pics too Ron!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for less than abundant information. Like I said, very busy time right now. I just finished a busy day at work and will be leaving for Georgia here shortly. This trip will put many more miles on the setup and give me a trip over Mt. Eagle in Tennessee. Boost max is unknown. I did blow an intercooler boot, last time I looked at the gauge, she was climbing past 16 or 17 psi. This turbo is a whistler. Sounds like I'm sitting in a truck with a turbine engine, not a diesel...... but I like the sound of a turbo working.

Al - I may be able to put it on the rollers at the TS Outlaw event at the end of the month.......... but, I'm on call that weekend. If I can't get my partner to cover, then I'll have to try and sweet talk Dennis (owner of TS Performance) to let me use their testing dyno in the TS shop. Not sure what type of video would be good. Dyno? Drive by? In cab?

Hardy - I made the standard mods for the Banks turbo when I put it in a couple of years ago. Just cut and bent the lip back out of the way on the passenger's side. No new mods for down pipe. It's a really tight fit with the exhaust wrap though.

cpdenton - Yes, it is mounted on the Banks turbine inlet.

Banks uses an undivided T3 turbine. The Garrett uses a divided T4. I used an undivided 2.5 inch tall T3 - T4 adaptor. That didn't give me the clearance I needed. So, I also used a one inch divided T4 spacer plate. I beveled the blunt edge of the dividing bridge on the entrance to cut down on turbulence (see the picture of that spacer). With the adaptor (2.5 inches) and the spacer plate (1 inch) I still didn't have enough clearance between the turbo and the intake, much less the intake hat. So, the intake manifold was modified as shown in the photos. Had to make a new mount for the throttle cables as the factory mount was machined off the intake manifold. The turbine exit is 3 5/8 v-band. I ordered a 3 5/8 flange and a tight radius 90 degree three inch 14 gauge aluminized pipe to modify the down pipe.

Now, I needed to plumb oil in and out and coolant in and out. I just swapped the oil inlet block from the Banks and put it on the Garrett. The Banks oil drain tube was not going to reach. I could have searched and maybe found something I could order and have shipped to make oil drainage work. However, making what was needed was faster. The metal piece I'm holding the first set of pictures is an oil drain block. It is machined out of a old piece of solid key stock steel. It bolts to the oil drain on the turbo. The Banks drain tube bolts to it and then empties into the valley pan as before. That piece took about 8 hours of machine work...... but, that's still faster than trying to find a part and wait for it to be shipped out.

The rear coolant pipe was hitting the firewall. So, I used JIC fittings and a bit of welding to get it where it needed to be. The coolant pipe if the front needed some bending, but, not a ton of mods. The coolant was plumbed into the hose coming out of the heater core using two 5/8 "Y" fittings and 5/8 silicone hose.

The intercooler piping wasn't too far off and a few simple cuts and tweeks and it was hooked up. I don't like the air filter bolted directly to the compressor, but, I ran out of time. I will likely find a way to get some cooler air to the turbo down the road.

I will be out in the middle of no where in Georgia riding my dirt bike for the next 5 days. So, I'll try and answer questions if I have some sort of internet there, but otherwise, I'll try again on Tuesday.

Heath

Last edited:

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I'm curious to see the dyno results on this as well, hope you get to hit the rollers.

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Get a video inside the cab and outside :D

Any idea how much one of these may cost?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mt Eagle is a good test in that area. 6% for a long ways (like 12 miles if I remember right). I pulled a scout travel all on a uhaul trailer over that sucker years ago with the 5.3 GMC I had at the time. It was a workout but I was actually impressed. Will be waiting on the butt dyno report on that.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Say Doc.. Use some hair spray on the pipes and boots. Then slide on the boots. As it drys it will create a glue that holds the boots on the intercooler pipes.:thumbsup::thumbsup::sly

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any word on what a kit might look like yet Mel? Even if it is the major components with some assembly required. I currently have nothing so need to know how many pennies I'm saving?