International / super duty turbo install

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Ok several people have asked me about how I got a superduty/ International turbo on my IDI's....

Well The units I use are GT-40 Garrett turbos (comp AR .58 / turbine .95) OE on First and Next Genration DT466 mechanical motors, DT466E, T444E/ powerstroke ( ford has it's own flange mounts for the piping as you will see. All mine have come from T444E and DT 466 E engines. This one is from a DT. It is a Non-Wastgated free spooling unit. These were only used on the first gen powerstroke. Boost levels have never been a problem as 15 psi is the highest I ever saw on this motor pulling a mountain with a 45 foot trailer. Average boost is 3 to 7 psi under normal conditions. Now you have to build your own petistal mount but was very simple and presure hat still pretty simple. A simple oil drain tube and some oil lube tubing Aeroquip to the rescue.

This was taken before the intercooler and ram air so you can see the thing. None of that bolt on flange crap simple hose and clamp on intake and v band exhaust. 3.5 inch outlet and works great if you have time and the skills to fabricate than this is for you.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Here we go

Try again

Attachments

• DSC01235.JPG
    DSC01235.JPG
    908.4 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC01236.JPG
    DSC01236.JPG
    900.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC01237.JPG
    DSC01237.JPG
    848.9 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC01238.JPG
    DSC01238.JPG
    836.8 KB · Views: 53

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, no air box at all, and an open air filtration element. Now, how did you build the pedestal and what did you use to make an air intake hat/pressure chamber? The piping should be simple, just match the size of the IH turbo unit. The 6.9/7.3 unit will not be bothered and will in fact benefit from the greater exhaust pipe size.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Just for suggestion, you can do a rubbing of the pedestal area on the turbo then transfer it to a piece of 1/2 or 3/4" thick aluminum. Cut it out, drill it, tap it and you are ready for oil.

RedTruck

Reaction score
So...

Now we know you have a digital camera. step back 3 or so steps and take another picture of your whole rig. Don't care if it hasn't had a bath since it was new...just want to see those rockwells and how everything fits up.

Neat looking job on your turbo install. That's really creative and simple how you've done the intake attachment.

Great job! Thanks for sharing it here.

Paul

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
The 2 braided lines on the top are oil feed and the feed for the oil psi guage. These were taken before the ram air and IC so the air cleaner is now @ the grille and IC piping covers it all. And the propane is the braided line right @ the back of the air cleaner.I built the mounting from steel bolted to the intake and traced the pattern of the exhaust out cut it and bolted the turbo exhaust flange to it and the pipe comes off the back the exhaust flows right through it. The intake hat was nothing more than a peice of pipe cut off capped pipping welded in.

These were not taken by me I guess I need to break down and buy a new camera so I can share the whole rig. And see it with the IC hooked up.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Here are some older pics of the mockup you can see much more.

Attachments

• IMG0174.JPG
    IMG0174.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG0176.JPG
    IMG0176.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG0179.JPG
    IMG0179.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG0180.JPG
    IMG0180.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG0181.JPG
    IMG0181.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 35

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given the amount of whistle that DT-466's always seemed to have, I never would have guessed they shared the same turbo with the T444E. Great info! If you want to go with a larger air filter, take a look at the Moose Air setup. Just move a few things, and you have lots of room.
You must be registered for see images

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
The reason a DT466E has more whistle is the shear amount of air it moves compared to a T444E listen to a DT530 even louder. The specs for air cfm are tremendous. Like they say no replacement for displacement.

I went to a cat school a few years ago and I asked the question of over boosting an engine. And he told me @ rated load and speed you can not over boost as the combustion force is far greater. The purpose of the wastegate and the only purpose is to limt boost on no load conditions this is where too much boost will pop a gasket or break a head bolt. Ever notice when you are under load WOT and the tranny shifts the boost jumps up that is what it is meant to control because the turbo will not respond to load as fast as it can change. IE turbo lag.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
nice, thanks for the pics, i will have to save this for future referance in case i try to turbo my old 6.9.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
What kind of mods are you running on that other F350 in your sig?

Well I just hooked up a 250 HP shot of nitrous and installed a new IP pump and reworked the propane. Have a truck pull this weekend so I am going in the field out back and tune the fuel nitrous combo. Atleast on a diesel too much nitrous will just cut off the engine and not hurt anything. If my figure are right I should have just the right amount of fuel and propane.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radeon1314

Members online