Internal Engine Experts?????

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
So I have this 94 factory turbo core that was supposed to have a knock.

I have the oil pan off and there are some pieces in there that look a bit like pieces of spark plug (oh sorry is that cussing) feeler gauge.

I'm wondering if it isn't a thrust washer/bearing that blew.

I did see what looked to be little tiny pieces of brass in the turbo oil port, I'm guessing that took the last of the turbo.

So far I see one injector was leaking combustion fairly good and the tip is in the head, and other than that the top of the heads anyway look great. Maybe that injector took a rod bearing out?

Right now it's hanging so I can't take the heads off easily.

Anyway, just tring to figure out what to do with this thing.

Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Without a picture its difficult to say for certain what these pieces of matal are. I really dought a crank thrust bearing let go. With the age of these engines and all the previous owners "touching" them its hard telling what we find in the oil pans. Some have found mechanical lift pump arms and springs in there. Thats because the person installing the lift pump didn't get the arm UNDER the cam...:sly

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can come by and look at it this week. PM me your addy and a good time, mid mornings work best with my chiropractic sched.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I can come by and look at it this week. PM me your addy and a good time, mid mornings work best with my chiropractic sched.
:thumbsup: That'd be fun, Ive got all kinds of toys to show ya at the moment. I'm around with my son most the time so I'll PM you.

You know, you may have been blushing earlier in the other thread, but I think everyone else is green with envy I live so close to you.:D

I'm about five minutes from Busters;Sweet

You know what bothers me, is I did get ancy and take apart the turbo, and in the pacman shaped oil passage there was some little tiny bonze looking pieces in there, so I am wondering if stuff got by the oil filter. I guess they could be heat colored steel also.

Well here are some pics, it seems like the littler pieces are the only ones that look bronze. This is after a little brakleen. ON edt: just brakleen on the pieces.

Attachments

• P1010024.JPG
    P1010024.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 40
  • P1010023.JPG
    P1010023.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010022.JPG
    P1010022.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 36
  • P1010020.JPG
    P1010020.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 32
  • P1010021.JPG
    P1010021.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 29
  • P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 50

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is clear enough in the picture, but it looks like on the drivers rear cylinder, the cylinder wall is black with a couple of cleans spots, almost like they bulged a little and then the piston cleaned there??? and then on the clean spots are little spots of rust, although the engine did sit under a tarp for a while and I can see just a little rust on a couple pushrods.

Don't get me wrong, I know this probably means pinholes, I'm hoping others have seen this before and can confirm.

Hopefully I'll see Russ soon anyway I guess.

I supposed it hydrolocked and blew the bearing maybe, unless those little pieces are the rings just made thin on there way out like a penny on a railroad track. There were some more pieces up in the oil pickup.:puke:

Attachments

• P1010026.JPG
    P1010026.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 38
  • P1010025.JPG
    P1010025.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 34

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Looking at that pic I'm thinking a scuffed piston is a possibility, did you cut open the oil filter?...Brass is usually a wrist pin bushing...Pull it apart, best case it's ok and you can re-ring and re-bearing it.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I didn't cut the filter open, but there did seem to be tiny pieces of brass in the turbo oil passages and in the oil pan.

I'm not sure exactly what "scuffed piston" means (not razzin ya) but I guess for now I will pull the heads for sure, then maybe I can see the cylinder walls better.

I'll have most the parts for a serp belt conversion and I guess the IP must have been good enough to blow the engine.LOL

I think I'll turn that piston down and see if I can see the wrist pin better.

Thanks everyone, I could never have these old trucks without the forum.

:hail:hail:hail

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
A scuffed piston is usually caused by lugging the engine down on rpm's too ******* a pull...The piston itself touches the bore when it shouldn't....That's the job of the rings....If it's scuffed there will possibly some aluminum melted to the cylinder wall or just obvious signs of them touching.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Well, funny you say that cause I think you can see it in one of the pictures at the bottom of the cylinder wall it kind of seems like maybe aluminum shavings stuck to the wall.

What's strange to me is that the engine was hooked to an E4od:dunno

The injector seemed fine on that cylinder.

The turbo wasn't charcoaled or anything real bad.

To me recollection the CDR dosen't dump in the rear cylinders like on an N/A.

I would of thought the cylinder with the hot downpipe on the pass side would be the first to go.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
A scuffed piston is usually caused by lugging the engine down on rpm's too ******* a pull...The piston itself touches the bore when it shouldn't....That's the job of the rings....If it's scuffed there will possibly some aluminum melted to the cylinder wall or just obvious signs of them touching.

I don't want to argue with you BigRig, but with most pistons the skirt is in contact with the bore almost all the time. It keeps the piston from tilting.
The skirt is larger than the crown and is not designed to expand as much (because it doesn't need to).
My experience has been that a skirt gets scuffed because of overheating one particular cylinder, not really on account of 'lugging' the engine.
Maybe I just read your post wrong, but if I had an engine with a scuffed piston, I think I would consider the fact that there was a major problem with that cylinder....

It may be as simple as an injector that dumped fuel in there, but maybe not, I just wouldn't want to spend the cash to put it all together and find out that you overheated a cylinder again.

Drew

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I don't want to argue with you BigRig, but with most pistons the skirt is in contact with the bore almost all the time. It keeps the piston from tilting.
The skirt is larger than the crown and is not designed to expand as much (because it doesn't need to).
My experience has been that a skirt gets scuffed because of overheating one particular cylinder, not really on account of 'lugging' the engine.
Maybe I just read your post wrong, but if I had an engine with a scuffed piston, I think I would consider the fact that there was a major problem with that cylinder....

It may be as simple as an injector that dumped fuel in there, but maybe not, I just wouldn't want to spend the cash to put it all together and find out that you overheated a cylinder again.

Drew

Agreed, they do touch in normal running but they shouldn't melt pistons to the wall...LOL...The 466 IH's are famous for scuffed pistons at 5 and 6....Another thing that can lead to the scuffing is broken rings if they had rusted to the cylinder wall before it was started....I just rebuilt a little 4 banger IH in a Case tractor last month, the rings in one cylinder were like confetti....1/4 long pieces.....Coolant leaked in around the injector tubes during the winter and you could see the rust rings on the liners where she had been shut down at different times in her life. Wide open fuel and too low an RPM can wear/break things easily in a truck engine....If the combustion is big and the piston can't go down as quickly as it should with that amount of fuel it only has one place to go - tilt sideways. Hence my reference to lugging. This is quite comon to see in really worn truck engines, the tolerances are increased and everything wears in places that should really wear that much.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
huh. learned something today.
Seems like whenever major lugging was in issue with me the piston pin and rod bearings took the brunt of it.

Either way, caution should be advised on determining the source or trouble before just cleaning it all up and throwing a new set of rings at the engine in this post.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
huh. learned something today.
Seems like whenever major lugging was in issue with me the piston pin and rod bearings took the brunt of it.

Either way, caution should be advised on determining the source or trouble before just cleaning it all up and throwing a new set of rings at the engine in this post.

This is how it was explained to me by a very experienced engine man that I trained under at Freightliner when I worked there....If it runs on diesel he can rebuild it....We are still good buddy's and if I have a question I make a call or drop by the shop to see him. That shop has 2 really good engine guys, I miss working with both of them.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went and gave it a quick look, it has a spun rod bearing, pass side second one back. When I looked at the metal pieces I was certain it was rod bearing parts, then I saw the block with lots of oil leaks and knew it , Dan took off the pan and sure enough, loosy goosy.
So I am going to repair his turbo for the long block.
Good trade.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Thanks Russ.;Sweet

Wanted to say to members that working with people on the forum here can sure be a win win for everyone.

I got to thinking after Russ left, if my wife had stayed she may have understood about three words we said.LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin