Interior

wmoguy

Reaction score
So many questions, so much money I gotta spend! :rotflmao

Motor goes into the 93 later this week or first of next. Next on agenda is to get the interior redone. When I bought this truck a few weeks ago it was a non runner I got for a decent price and figured I'd put some money in it and have a nice daily driver. Interior wise I plan to:

1. Replace the carpet and headliner. Question is where can I find a GOOD stock replacement liner new? Anyone know of a parts place for these trucks on those type items?

2. I plan to do alot of sound proofing prior to installing carpet and headliner. I've read about breadboard, and some of the other sound deadening materials. Any suggestions from first hand experience? I'm getting old and don't want to hear a bunch of road noise and muffler drone in my cab anymore. Turbo whistle is always welcome though :)

3. I have been eyeing several sets of Lariat, King Ranch and even some nice Yukon/Tahoe Leather seats on Craigslist lately. I like the newer seats where in the rear seats the shoulder belt is integrated. Has anyone ever swapped in seats from a newer vehicle? It looks like some bracket work might be needed but nothing to serious.

4. The dash in this truck is in pretty good shape. It does have one small split near the passenger side. I'm thinking I'll just cover it w/ a dashliner.

Any other interior suggestions please let me know!

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
I swapped in a bench seat from a 01 superduty into my 86. It required custom brackets. The seat is a LOT bigger, both taller and deeper, so if your very tall (over six feet) it might not be a good fit, but being that you have a crew cab you will be able to slide the seat farther back than I, so It might work nicely for ya.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Rockauto.com has carpet and vinyl floor kits for these trucks.

Good prices too.

I've never had any luck fixing a headliner- I'm pretty confident of my skills on most things but headliners make me feel stupid. cookoo

sassyrel

Reaction score
I've never had any luck fixing a headliner- I'm pretty confident of my skills on most things but headliners make me feel stupid. cookoo[/QUOTE]

there easy--pull off old material,,clean board real good--3M spray glue--and put on new material--from upholstery shop--done--

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Replace the carpet and headliner. Question is where can I find a GOOD stock replacement liner new? Anyone know of a parts place for these trucks on those type items?

For the headliner, you're better off just taking it to a local auto upholsterer. I just dropped mine off and will get dinged for about a hundred bucks in labor (crew cab also). But mine's completely hacked up with oak trim that's stapled to the board, and a hole that needs to get patched. Given the resulting headaches if it comes unglued, I decided that's money well spent. If you're anywhere near Denver, you can't throw a rock from the intersection of Colfax and Wadsworth without hitting an auto upholstery shop.

2. I plan to do alot of sound proofing prior to installing carpet and headliner. I've read about breadboard, and some of the other sound deadening materials. Any suggestions from first hand experience? I'm getting old and don't want to hear a bunch of road noise and muffler drone in my cab anymore. Turbo whistle is always welcome though

For insulation I'm going to shave off the extra fabric insulation hanging off the roof, then put some sound barrier between the ribs that go across the roof. I didn't get the Dynamat; I got Thermo-Tec. It was a lot cheaper per square foot and will certainly be better than what was in there. I'm going to do the floor as well. I don't think breadboard will get you what you need - isn't that just for making a panel like the headliner? It doesn't have the requisite density for sound and heat insulation. I can't say I've used it yet, that's just the plan I'm going with.

3. I have been eyeing several sets of Lariat, King Ranch and even some nice Yukon/Tahoe Leather seats on Craigslist lately. I like the newer seats where in the rear seats the shoulder belt is integrated. Has anyone ever swapped in seats from a newer vehicle? It looks like some bracket work might be needed but nothing to serious.

IMO I'd definitely stay away from putting seats with integrated shoulder harnesses in a vehicle that was designed to hold only the weight of the seat in an accident, and use the pillars to support the weight of the occupants.

4. The dash in this truck is in pretty good shape. It does have one small split near the passenger side. I'm thinking I'll just cover it w/ a dashliner.

I tried to repair cracks in my dash and ended up just making 3 more from it flexing around while I dickered with it, and at the upholsterer's suggestion, I too am just getting the dash liner.

I enjoyed this book while researching. It was a topic I was pretty bored by until reading about it, but considering that's what you spend most of your time looking at, it's well worth the effort.

Good luck and post some before and after pics!

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
For carpet.
Listen to Cincinnati Guy

For seats.
Stick with ones without seatbelts. The floors in these older trucks were not designed to have the pressures of seat restraints put against them. In the event of an accident with these seats I believe the seats would be ripped from the floor

headliner.
Just pull it out and take it to an upholster. they are about 100

Sound deadner.

eastwood http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-thermocoustic-material.html

wmoguy

Reaction score
WOW!!! This site is AWESOME!!! Thanks all for the advice and welcoming a NOOB into the circle! ;Sweet

wmoguy

Reaction score
Called my local auto upholstery shop and they are quoting me $400 for soundproofing, new underlayment and carpet for the cab, and about $125 for the headliner. These prices also include them installing replacement seats from a newer truck for me. I thought that was really reasonable. The only thing he said is he can not alter the seat mounting brackets, they basically have to bolt right in. Does anyone know if the newer F series seats use same mounting brackets as our old trucks?

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What seats do you have in there? I recommend a 40-20-40 bucket/console setup that came in your generation and calling it a day. The other thing about the newer seats is they tend to be thick as hell, and there's not all the legroom in the world in back of these cc trucks.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Called my local auto upholstery shop and they are quoting me $400 for soundproofing, new underlayment and carpet for the cab, and about $125 for the headliner. These prices also include them installing replacement seats from a newer truck for me. I thought that was really reasonable. The only thing he said is he can not alter the seat mounting brackets, they basically have to bolt right in. Does anyone know if the newer F series seats use same mounting brackets as our old trucks?

Only seats that will be a DIRECT bolt in to your crew cab are 80-97 Crewcab and 80-97 reg cab seats. bronco and supercab are different

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only seats that will be a DIRECT bolt in to your crew cab are 80-97 Crewcab and 80-97 reg cab seats. bronco and supercab are different

the seat itself is different, or is it the seat rail? i can see the seat rail being different, but not the seat. i know a crew cab frt seat wont fold down but other then that is the place where the seat rail bolts to the seat different?