intercooler

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about running an intercooler on my truck looking for people who have done this and what results they had and what they used for piping and how it was bent

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Intercoolers are great, you just need to select the right on. An intercooler is going to cool down the incoming aircharge, meaning denser air, meaning more air to support more fuel.

Aircoolers by design are also a flow restriction so having one of suitable flow rate is essential. Unlike liquid, air can be compressed. If a non intercooled turbo setup is delivering a peak 20psi and you were to add an intercooler that was too small or too restrictive you will increase pressure on the turbo side of your intercooler and ultimately be getting less air into the engine. Factory intercoolers will still work and add power but only up to their design reated flow. Example, using an intercooler design for a max flow rate of 400cfm@10psi with a turbo that delivers 700cfm@10psi will result in increased compression of the air on the turbo side. Increased pressure means you are heating the air, it is also going to restrict the 700cfm your turbo could be delivering.

If i ventured a guess without reading any specs, an ATS or Banks kit 7.3 or 6.9, would respond great to having a a factory intercooler from any manufacturers TD. I would probably choose a Dodge intercooler out of all of them, othey are much thicker than Ford or GM and have larger charge passages.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin