Intercooler/ piping Q's

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats more less what I'm hoping for. 2 pipes packed closely together running parallel in the engine bay. Maybe even try to insulate the hot side.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
For all those interested that ebay intercooler moves 900cfm of air since its not posted on there. Heck for about 200$ you can have a new intercooler with piping.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
New Intercooler

here is the 3" inlet/outlet Intercooler i got off ebay for $100 shipped. They say it moves around 900cfms so i think it should be enough for the factory turbo. Here is the initial picture and a "rough draft" fitment. working on the pipes now. No i didnt mount it crooked, i just couldnt hold it up straight and take the picture.

Attachments

• IC.jpg
    IC.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IC2.jpg
    IC2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 9

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Also. I talked to hypermax today. You can buy the compressor discharge pipe for $70. the manifold inlet pipe for $120.the connector pipe for $56. and the snail for $50. So basically thats about $300. So is the wastegate actuator, clamps, intercooler and all that other junk actually worth $1100?

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Here r my first pics of the fabrication and install so far. Havent got it hooked into the turbo yet.

Attachments

• IC1.jpg
    IC1.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IC3.jpg
    IC3.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IC4.jpg
    IC4.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 14

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where can you get the piping for the intercooler set-up ? Universal type ?

I am going to look into this when i do my turbo as my tranny cooler will be remote mount with a fan so i wont need to worry about that.

Im also wondering about maybe a scoop type thing under the bumper to push air up or dropping the IC down past the bumper with a skid plate ?

Last edited:

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats more less what I'm hoping for. 2 pipes packed closely together running parallel in the engine bay. Maybe even try to insulate the hot side.

I'd insulate the cold side that way as the air goes threw the hot side pipe it can lose heat and th cold side won't pick up heat from the hot side or the engine

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, ok, I gotta chime in on this one.

First, Simp, my hats off to you. You wanted an IC, you got one, you started fabin' and no one can knock that. You are aces for for taking a non stock item and adapting it to your needs.

Second, since you are fabricating pieces I would suggest making leaving some room to also bypass the IC and run from your spool straight into you hat. Run the system both ways and see what the old butt dyno is telling you works best.

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I am going to look into this when i do my turbo as my tranny cooler will be remote mount with a fan so i wont need to worry about that.

Im also wondering about maybe a scoop type thing under the bumper to push air up or dropping the IC down past the bumper with a skid plate ?

:dunno

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score

I'm getting some of my fittings thru these guys. Pretty decent prices too.;Sweet

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those cheap eBay coolers are cheap for a reason. Almost all are lacking the internal cooling fins on the tubes. Not very efficient at all. Be nice to see an inlet and outlet temp. comparison. There's a reason good intercoolers are expensive.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I called hypermax and bought the pipes, they were 207$shipped ground. Its not a bad price considering all the at home bending you would have to do, not to mention stainless steel being $47 a foot. My other challenge was that its 94 miles to the nearest city to even get pipe and to have it bent.

I used 2 1/2" pipe with one end flared to 3" to match my intercooler side. the other side would let the 2 1/4" pipe from hypermax to slide right in and i used exhaust clamping on those to keep em together. I used high temp bands for the turbo side and the snail side. I Used the factory snail and just used a 3" to 2/12inch band that was about 4" long and made it work. I thought bout getting a pipe to fit into the snail but it would have to have a slight bend. I did not put an air dam to force air up into it from the bottom since the cooler is pretty thick i was not getting alot of upper air flow on my radiator. I instead did some fabrication to the grille inlets, as well as the bottom of the header panel to get more air flow to the IC. I am going to install a lower air dam to force air into the radiator from the bottom. The intercooler i am using is rated at 900-950CFM. which isnt that great but it should handle what the factory turbo is using. hypermax says anywhere from 800 to 1100 is an acceptable cfm range. As far as performance I can notice a slight difference but my pump is also turned town. So i might do a lil fine tuning on it before my trip this week. I will have an ambient air temp installed in both the hot and cold side pipes. I used the stock wastegate just had to install the bracket a different way and then redrill a hole for the other bolt to hold it down. I have around 4 hours into this project and right around $370 for all the parts

Parts list and cost:
2 - 2 1/2" pipes with bends $20
Intercooler - $90 shipped
2 pipes from Hypermax - $207 shipped
2 - 2 silicone bands $30
8 2-3" hose clamps $12
2 - 2 1/2" exhaust clamps $10

My area has less than 60 days of temperatures over 70 degrees a year so extreme hot isnt an issue up here on insulating the pipes.freezing is the biggest problem. I will try to get a fuel mileage report on my way across the country next week. Here as of late I have been getting right at bout 19.7 with a full load of 157 gallons of diesel and a toolbox @ 65mph and Around 20.4 with only one full 19gal tank @ 65.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I forgot to add that it is the pipe setup for the 93-94 Factory Turbo system. Not for the ATS System. My radiator is aluminum and I am also running 2 Ford Taurus 3.8L fans. I have both ran to 50amp switches mounted in the dash with 40amp maxi fuses. The fans pull around 34amps on high. I can switch between low and high on each fan. I also cut out the bottom of both radiator supports. One side is for the pipes, hypermax tells you to just cut a 3" hold in the support I said screw it and cut the bottom and did some reinforcement to the top. I cut the other side to allow the air to flow thru the IC and into my cold air intake, in which the filter is right beside the radiator between the support and the power steering hoses.

My biggest issue with the whole thing was getting the pipes between the fuel filter and the coolant filter setup i added. I had to move some hoses and move some mounting with it. I also did away with the metal lines from the pump to the filter and from the filter to the IP so It is alot easier to unbolt the filter housing for filter changes and not get diesel all over. I also unbolted the dipstick bracket and positioned it between the AC dryer and a line off it it and made a mounting tab and screwed it into the evap box. Here are some more pics. If you have any other questions please feel free to message me.

Attachments

• Rad1.jpg
    Rad1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Rad2.jpg
    Rad2.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Turbo1.jpg
    Turbo1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Turbo2.jpg
    Turbo2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Turbo3.jpg
    Turbo3.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Rad.jpg
    Rad.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 8

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice setup there! I've put mine on halt until i can afford to buy the rest of the parts :eek:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Hey Simp, what kind of boost numbers are ya seeing?

I see that you are running an exhaust clamp in one of the pics. Any leaks there???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online