Intercooler pipe size?

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About to order some parts to start building the tubing for my PSD intercooler.

It's been touched on many times, but I can't find a definitive answer:

What size tubing should I run?

I'm ordering mandrel bends (exhaust tubing) so I can weld it up myself.

The ATS intercoolers for the IDI's came with 2.25"

PSD's run 3" - same engine size, but more boost.

Cummins guys seem to like 3.5"

I'm running a ATS 085 turbo, Uhaul rebuilt IP, and new injectors; it's good for about 10psi of boost when I can get my up pipe to seal.

I was going to run 2.5", but I'm starting to think 3" may be the way to go if I choose to start upgrading the engine in the future (bigger pump, turbo, cam)

So, should I run 2.5", or 3"?

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aluminum would actually cost about the same amount as steel.
I even possess the ability to weld that thin (only .065 wall), I just lack the equipment...
I have 2 wire feed MIG's in my garage for steel.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of guys here use 3" from what I've seen. bigger pipes means slower velocity until it necks back down to the smaller size, does this actually help heat dissipation noticeably? Whichever you can route easier is what I would go with

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 3 inch most of the piping, I used the OEM steel Pipes from a Powerchoke to cut and re clock, they have not rusted in 10 years.
I build a bit more than 15psi but keep it around 12psi to keep from breaking anything.
Intercooler made a huge difference with reliability while towing, keeps the EGT in check
Most important upgrade for a serious owner...

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My main concern is adding considerably more turbo lag. It's a non-waste gate setup, so I already have to wind it up pretty high to get much boost out of it. Not a big deal when towing, but I don't want it to feel any more boggy off the line than it already is.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My main concern is adding considerably more turbo lag. It's a non-waste gate setup, so I already have to wind it up pretty high to get much boost out of it. Not a big deal when towing, but I don't want it to feel any more boggy off the line than it already is.

consider selling your large psd cooler,and grab something smaller like the cxracing a lot of members here use,then run 2.25" pipe.get a trubo blanket,then make sure the cross over pipes are wrapped with 2 layers of exhaust wrap.turn the fuel up,then back the timing to 6-7 degrees btdc.she'll spool.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You don't need that big of pipe. Bigger means lower velocity, but with what these trucks do it's all about the same.

Remember that bigger pipe means it's also harder to fit, bend radius is bigger, more to weld, bigger hose clamps / hoses, etc. No need to go bigger than you need.

Pipe size has nothing to do with the flow rate through the intercooler which is where you heat transfer takes place. True, larger pipe & slower flow means more heat is transferred out through the pipes, but this is a very small amount. The speed of air flow through the intercooler is a function of intercooler air volume and total flow rate.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered all of the parts this morning. Ended up going with 2.5" tubing.
I'm probably going to plug a CDR back into my intake (RDT just ain't cutting it for me). As much as I dislike the idea of pumping all of that oil through the turbo and intercooler; at least it will keep the steel pipes from rusting.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
How about welding in a drain on the intercooler? Should accumulate mostof the oil there I'd think.

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My hypermax intercooler uses 2.5 you can use PVC for mock up and take it to a fabricator save the receipts and retire when done

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what we should all be doing is installing an oil catch can in our cdr pipes.then just emptying the cans or installing drains into the fuel pump block off plate.
there's a couple threads about these on here.i'll be doing this to both trucks at some point no doubt.
the oil in the intercooler probably isn't any good for airflow and as for coating the pipes,rust isn't going to get those anytime soon anyway.exhaust lasts for several years down under where the salt slush hit it with exhaust running through 'em.clean air and up high and dry,they're all going to far outlast our old idi trucks probably 10x over anyway lol.

oh well here ya go.the whole setup just like id do it:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?28585-blowby-catch-can-with-drain-pics

or perhaps (and most likely,now i think for a sec) it may be just as easy to tap a drain right there by the oil fill cover.
like right up on top above the "AA"
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48483&d=1391400722

Last edited: