Interchanging IP's

mainiac

Reaction score
My 83 has the db2 4102 IP, went to the injection shop and they say this pump is obsolete (I think his name was **** and it was befitting). I would have to have mine serviced and deal with more downtime than I can afford to have right now.
My parts truck has an 83 motor with a db2 4237 IP, shop says it is for the 84-85 motors. I assume they are just being **** about injector codes, who knows.
They sold me a set of BB injectors 3 months ago without to much resistance (when this application calls for A's, and those are obsolete).
They haven't returned my calls, so I just assume they want to work on the newer stuff.
I also have a turbo and the motor only has about 5k on it after a complete rebuild.
So...what should I do, rather, what info do you guys have to offer?
Would I be okay to get a 7.3 IDI turbo pump and time it again.

I hope you guys can enlighten me.

Mike

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Mel is the IP man but I would think unless the IP gear is different You'll have no problems with a 7.3 IP and much less with different injectors.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can run any Ford/IH IDI pump and injectors on your 83. All those codes are just so much emissions gobbledegook. Just keep all your injectors the same code, whatever code you choose, and you should have a pyrometer as a matter of course. Remember that the spec's for the 83' are the way they are because the other pumps may not have been around then. There are minor differences, such as govenor speed and timing curve, but once you tweak your fuel screw, that pump model number goes out the window.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While we're on the subject of IP's, I've got one kicking around that I'd like to ID... It's off of a 93 or 94, has the external pump adjustment, but, that's about all I know about it. Model/RPM # is G3 DB2831 5013 J
I'm just curious as to whether it came off of a turbo or non turbo engine.
I may try swapping it for the existing one on my engine at some point, but, I'm pretty sure the one on the truck is modified. It came off of a 91 7.3, it smokes lots if you get on it and turns about 3750 rpm....

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
While we're on the subject of IP's, I've got one kicking around that I'd like to ID... It's off of a 93 or 94, has the external pump adjustment, but, that's about all I know about it. Model/RPM # is G3 DB2831 5013 J
I'm just curious as to whether it came off of a turbo or non turbo engine.
I may try swapping it for the existing one on my engine at some point, but, I'm pretty sure the one on the truck is modified. It came off of a 91 7.3, it smokes lots if you get on it and turns about 3750 rpm....

5013 is from a non-turbo.

mainiac

Reaction score
Okay, I got a call back from the injector shop. My 4102 is not available any more. They want $800 to "set up" my pump or one like it.
That seems to be a bit pricey to me.
I guess I'll just get a 7.3 IDI turbo pump on the internet.
Can anyone recommend a decent supplier?

Thanks for the replies fellas.

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More pump interchangeability ? s -

Can you use a DB2-5013 or DB2-5028 with code BB injectors (ie it is specd for code E but will it be OK ?)

Can you use DB2831-4714 with code E injectors ( ie is specd for code BB injectors but will it be OK ) ?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
More pump interchangeability ? s -

Can you use a DB2-5013 or DB2-5028 with code BB injectors (ie it is specd for code E but will it be OK ?)

Can you use DB2831-4714 with code E injectors ( ie is specd for code BB injectors but will it be OK ) ?

The way I understand it, you can use any pump with any injector you want, they all should interchange ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any pump or injector made for a 6.9 or 7.3 that is.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your pump shop is sticking it into you without lube or a kiss.
if you are still running the truck, check out www.mwfi.com they have a really good core policy. return the core in 30 days and you won't get hit for a core charge. do call them first to confirm your core is acceptable but imho, there's very little reason why it isn't.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
I second towcat. I've used MWFI for return line kits, glow plugs, additives and other misc items and I've been very happy with them. And you can't beat their core policy beyond no core charge.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would tell "****" where to go....for $800 you can get Mel to fix you up with a Moose Pump that will work with those BB injectors and kick the stock pump or a factory turbo pump's tail, but it is a rebuild of your current pump. Ken at DPS offers a similar pump with core exchange. If you need a core, I have one you can have cheap, its a 6.9 pump though, which is acceptable for the Moose, Ken might hit you up for extra machining charges about $50 IIRC.