Instrument Cluster With Desirable Tachometer Disassembled Inside (Important News!)

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
The first letter and number on a Ford part number is the year. A=194x, B=195x, C=196x, D=197x, etc, etc.

An E1 =1981. You'll see older part numbers if no revision was made up until the time on installation. Meaning if the part was installed in a 1985 you could see a part number for 1980. Doesn't mean someone put an older part in, just there was no change in the part design in the years.

Another example, I've been doing some of work on my '62 F100, I'm finding C1-XXXX part numbers all over the place. Ford was good at marking parts, and their date codes are nice and easy to decipher.

Thanks! I should have done more research to confirm the information I was quoting before posting.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because I've seen a few people in this thread wanting one, I have a complete instrument cluster that I acquired as a backup a while back, but I'm not particularly attached to the tach. If anybody wants the tach or the speedo (WITH trip OD), PM me and we can hash a price.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did I hear somewhere that when the LED's are dimmed by the headlight knob they do not work too well?

I'm currently working on a PWM driver board that will operate off of the dash dimmer and drive LEDs. Ill post a thread with it when I'm done.

Sent from my cyborg implant

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did take a tach from a 1990 dash and modified it to work in my 85 dash panel, Had to grind a little and drill three holes, and it worked great, I used the 1990 tach and the 1985 faceplate, I used the tach sensor from the 1990, everything plugged in and worked with the dash grid,
Hope this helps someone, I couldn't take any pictures to show anyone, but it was successful, Grog 85

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726