Installing E pump.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bracket is made and have had pump mounted under hood.
Relay has it's own little spit now too.
Still don't have the connector to attach to the pump. Guess I'm either gonna have of order one or drive 20 miles in town to get to a pep boys.
Anyways here's my plan for the wiring so far.
Constant power with inline fuse will go to the red cable on the starter solenoid on passenger side fender.
Obviously wire from pump to relay.
Ground I was gonna clean a spot on inside of passenger side fender and put there.
And the wire going to the fss on the ip might not work for me.
When I had a few wires short out under the hood leaving me stranded that spot went up in smoke. It might be melted on ugh. Haven't tried yet tho.

The hard line running down the frame up till it splits to fuel hose to connect to mech pump. I should be able to just slide the 3/8s hose on and clamp it down right?

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been reading alot of threads and I'm liking what I hear can one of you tell me the pros and cons of this? Thanks

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already have all the fittings for the pump including barbed ends.
The only question I have now conserning the fuel lines is how to connect to the stock hardline that goes to the mech pump.

One more thing. Say I can't you the fsv on the ip what else could I hook it up to?

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been reading alot of threads and I'm liking what I hear can one of you tell me the pros and cons of this? Thanks

Several reasons.
There can be a gain of power ( especially if your old pump is wore out like mine)
If the mechanical pump ever ruptures it'll send fuel flooding into the crankcase(not good!)
And one of the nicest things is the ability to prime the fuel system without cranking it over and over.
Prime example fuel filter change. Last time I did it I forgot to fill the new filter with fuel and it took 30 minutes of cranking to get it to start. E pump it would have primed by the time the glowplug light went out.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
One more thing. Say I can't you the fsv on the ip what else could I hook it up to?

Well my plan is to actually wire it to an overhead switch panel in the cab. Rather than have it switched by the ignition key.

If you cannot use the fss, your pretty much stuck with going through the firewall. However pretty much everything under the dash is switched.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I woulndt mind having it on a switch besides the fact I KNOW I would forget to turn it off atleast once.

So would it be ok to run the switched power source to a fuse under the dash? Like gauges are hooked up.Or would there be a problem with that?

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Yus, fuse panel is a good place to tap in.

I would use radio switched rather than gauges, it prolly would be ok, but I wouldnt want to risk funkyness in my gauges from a voltage drop.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, fuse panel is a good place to tap in.

I would use radio switched rather than gauges, it prolly would be ok, but I wouldnt want to risk funkyness in my gauges from a voltage drop.
I dindt mean the same fuse that my gauges are taped into just meant in the same fashion that there run.
(add a circuits)

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I hear ya on the refilling issue I didn't put enough in last time same problem took forever my ip is only two years old about 40k on it and so you leave the ip in an just use the e pump to pull the fuel up to the ip???

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I hear ya on the refilling issue I didn't put enough in last time same problem took forever my ip is only two years old about 40k on it and so you leave the ip in an just use the e pump to pull the fuel up to the ip???

Correct you don't touch your ip.
It replaces the mechanical lift pump.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well from what you have said I'm getting one I'm not sure on the lift pumps age or wear so I'm running wvo as well is there and e pump that's better than another I liked the carrier one in another thread I can spend another 250 this month anymore and all be sleeping on the couch

runkeeg26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell me how this goes i will be doing the same thing this summer. I am looking to mount it across from where the mechanical one is on the rail. I figure the same spot should be best. I think it should be good for the winter. I will be doing this, the return lines and new GP's along with anything else that comes up while i am doing them. Remember we all love pics, and it didn't happen if there's not pictures of it.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
The only question I have now conserning the fuel lines is how to connect to the stock hardline that goes to the mech pump.

The mechanical pump connects to the supply line with rubber hose, so just pull that off and add your new hose.
I also cut the metal feed line to the filter head, flared the end of it, and hooked the rubber output hose to it.

Last edited: