Installed electric pump, now no start

jdkline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I spent 4 hours getting my electric pump installed. Wire to pump to switch to fuse to battery. Problem is, it didn't prime up at first and like an idiot I started the truck, cause I wasn't sure if it was running or not. The truck drained the fuel filter and then quit running. Worked with teh pump some more and it did start pumping, as a result, I found the initial problem that caused my leakdown. Since last year I replaced my fuel pump to filter head hard line with a hose, teh hose had a small hole in it. This became redaily apparent only with teh electric pumps pressure on the line, then it was squirting liek crazy out of that hole, looks like a result of vibration and/or a losing encounter with a V-belt. After I got fuel pressure on teh supply side, I could nopt get fuel to teh injectors, so I'm hoping I haven't inadvertently toasted the injector pump. It just doesn't want to push fuel. Is this massive airlock even with the electric pump, or bigger problems? The other concern is, since I have a hgood light and left teh doors open, plus the pump was running, and a lot of cranking etc, I wonder if the IP is not getting enough voltage to inject. FSS clicks but haven't checked for adaequet voltage. i was just so angry after all that work, I had to walk away from it, that and I have to be at work in teh morning. If anyone has any ideas, please chime in,
J.D.

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
Try cracking all the lines off the injectors and crank no more the 30 sec at a time. till fuel starts to come out turn ur key off then on to activate ur gp's when it starts. start to tighten them up. Thats what it sounds like is air lock.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
JD,
I agree with budtoh3zo. Disconnect the power to the GP's and crack all the lines at the injectors and crank till fuel starts coming out. Tighten em doown and hook yer GP's back up and let her have it. As long as the electric pump was pushing fuel up to the filter head it should work. Just sounds like ya got a good share of air in there. ;Sweet

Good luck

Ron

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
JD,

Since the timing advance is nothing more than a restriction on the return line from the pump disconnect it and then flip on the electric, crack a couple of injection lines and crank away... This will allow the injection pump all kinds of space to let fuel fly through to. I had one that air locked tighter than a drum and it took a little bit. Sorry to say I had to replace the pump not long afterwards but highly doubt your one time incident caused your pump to fail as I was all the time running until the big tank in the rear was dry as a bone then while she was coasting down the highway under no power I was a mad man flipping switches in the cab saying come on baby catch - catch dang you - alright you POS **** cutter truck catch and then bingo away I went... I think she just wanted me to know she was in control.

jdkline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their help. I got the truck started tonight, it took some doing, but at least I'm not having to buy a new injector pump. I was surprised at all teh air in there. I thought the e-pumps eiminated the concerns about air in the system, one of the big draws for me. Thanks again,
J.D.