injector, valve? tick heard through exhaust

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive been meaning to ask about this for a while. there is a tick you can hear through the exhaust in my 7.3 its loudest on top of the back passenger injector. i replaced it and its still htere i put new rockers in and of course its still there. push rod or just a worn valve er what?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exhaust leaks sound like a ticking sometimes. Can you hear it in the cab and does it get louder as you put a load on the engine.

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
uh well haha i cant really hear it when i put a load on it cuz the things so friggin loud. but and exhaust leak inside or outside the head? if its loudest on the injector thats puzzling well i guess itd make sense if its at the manifold gasket. hmm idk. i think it might get a hair louder or stay the same. you can hear it comin right out the stack

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing you can try if you think it might be an exhaust leak, is with a cold engine open the hood and once you get it started, hurry up and feel around the exhaust manifold and pipes with your hand to feel for any exhaust puffing before the pipes get too hot.

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey i just remembered. ima take a 1/2 '' vacuum hose and listen around the port and listen for it an old trick i forgot about. haha i just hope its not a worn valve