Injector ques

BigDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has a chuffing noise through the exh, so I pulled a random injector and found it was wet with diesel, and had bubbles around the copper crush washer. I pulled 2 others and they were dry. I pulled a random injector because I have done pretty much all the engine tests I know of and couldn't figure it out. The engine was run for 10 min before i pulled the injectors so it wasnt cold. The injector still have the original paint on them, so they may be the originals. The engine has 297,000 kms on it. Could this cause a miss. Could this cause a chuff? Thanks.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Typically a chuff through the exhaust is a sign of a bad exhaust valve guide - which can be confirmed by pulling the valve covers and first visibly looking for soot build up around a valve stem. If not seen then you will need to check to see if any of the valves can be tipped within the guides.

Yes an injector can cause a miss - I would first replace the injector and also you might look at replacing them all since they have some mileage on them - most diesel shops in the area can test them for you - they run three tests on them.

Pop off pressure
Spray pattern
leaky tips just before pop off pressure

I bet that you will find more than one bad if they a ton of miles on them.

also when reinstalling the injectors don't forget to replace the o-rings, return caps and lines. Also don't reuse the copper washers - they should be replaced anytime an injector is removed from it's home.

BigDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had the valve covers off the engine, and ran it with out them. I didnt see any soot build up or anything amiss. I also have done a compression test and the lowest cyl was 420, the highest was 490. To check for bad valve guide would I have to pull the rockers, and the rock the valve springs back and forth? Thanks.