Injection Pump Kit Question

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just received my rebuilt pump from Russ and it includes a pump kit which I didn't expect. I wanted to make sure I'm putting the parts in the right places- did a little searching but not a lot of luck.

1. The kit includes a large Oring, which I assume goes on the end of the pump that slides into the timing gear?
2. There are also 3 olives in the kit- can anyone verify the exact location these should be installed? I believe they are for the return line rail and so forth.
3. There's a smaller Oring as well, but I don't recall removing one from anywhere when I took the pump off.

I appreciate the help. I'm going to start getting this thing back together and see how it runs once I get my new injectors in.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 oring on pump where goes in ip gear housing
2 olives are likely for FEED line to filer housing from lift pump and from filter housing to IP the feed line
3 dunno

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thoughts are:
1.) Large O ring that goes on IP where it fits back into timing cover
2.)the "olives" are the seals for the two fittings at the fuel line in to the filter and fuel line out of the filter and where the fuel line threads into the IP inlet fitting.
3.) Perhaps that small o ring is for the IP return line fitting on the front of the pump

These would be the seals that would be affected when changing out the IP. Let us know how the install goes and how she runs afterward. I am also considering getting a rebuilt IP from Russ.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Small oring goes on the fuel inlet fitting of the pump, larger olive is for filter supply side from transfer pump.

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do tbrumm! It is safe to apply a bit of Vaseline on the orings during install I assume? Also, anyone know where I can get the olives for the return line? I read there are a few there as well. NAPA didn't have them.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will do tbrumm! It is safe to apply a bit of Vaseline on the orings during install I assume? Also, anyone know where I can get the olives for the return line? I read there are a few there as well. NAPA didn't have them.

There are no Olives on the return lines, there are two O'rings per injector in the injector grooves under the caps. The one O'ring in question could possibly the one that goes on the outlet fitting on top of the IP. See pic.

Attachments

• 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IP CHECK VALVE 2.jpg
    IP CHECK VALVE 2.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score

vaseline works, some use dielectric grease, I like a product called Superlube. It is a white synthetic grease that comes in a squeeze tube. I get it at Ace hardware here.

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I had read somewhere there were a few at the back of the return line that runs rearward of the engine, near the little "block" the line threads into before it bends down behind the engine.

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed when I took out my fuel inlet fitting on the old IP, the brass fitting was bottomed out in the housing. With the Oring from the kit on it, it prevents the fitting from going any further past compressing the Oring against the housing. Will that suffice to avoid leaks?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Small oring goes on the fuel inlet fitting of the pump, larger olive is for filter supply side from transfer pump.

I could loan you my Glasses if you can't read the above.

A little bit of sarcasm, not too much just a little.

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could loan you my Glasses if you can't read the above.

A little bit of sarcasm, not too much just a little.

Not sure if this was meant for me- I've got the Oring on the inlet fitting, it's just not seating fully into the housing as it did before.

You must be registered for see images attach

That's what I'm working with. If I take the Oring off and tighten about 1/2-2/3 of the hex portion of the fitting sinks into the IP housing.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try to understand this.
That IP fuel inlet fitting MUST have the O'ring ON it to seal from air intrusion. Otherwise it could be subject to leak fuel or let air in (air intrusion).

You said the your IP did not have the O'ring on it there, but was bottomed out, that was NOT the correct way to have it.

Air could have intruded letting the fuel drain back to tank, air will intrude in/at places where fuel will NOT leak out.

Air intrusion will cause HARD STARTS or LONG CRANKING.

Tighten the fitting WITH the O'ring on until the O'ring starts to bulge a little, then your good to go.

Edit: There is a shallow countersink for the O'ring to fit into.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this was meant for me- I've got the Oring on the inlet fitting, it's just not seating fully into the housing as it did before.

That's what I'm working with. If I take the Oring off and tighten about 1/2-2/3 of the hex portion of the fitting sinks into the IP housing.

The reason it is not working is that appears to be NON STOCK FITTING

I am guessing that is an incorrect fitting and should not be used. Replace with stock line or purchase a nice flex line from Conestoga diesel.

JM2CW

i may be incorrect....Russ or Mel????

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try to understand this.
That IP fuel inlet fitting MUST have the O'ring ON it to seal from air intrusion. Otherwise it could be subject to leak fuel or let air in (air intrusion).

You said the your IP did not have the O'ring on it there, but was bottomed out, that was NOT the correct way to have it.

Air could have intruded letting the fuel drain back to tank, air will intrude in/at places where fuel will NOT leak out.

Air intrusion will cause HARD STARTS or LONG CRANKING.

Tighten the fitting WITH the O'ring on until the O'ring starts to bulge a little, then your good to go.

Edit: There is a shallow countersink for the O'ring to fit into.

Im not sure if you're frustrated with me because you think I don't understand the Oring dilemma or not, but I do understand the Oring goes on the fitting. My point is (and maybe my point just hasn't been clear) is that I see the countersink you're talking about, but when I tighten this fitting that Oring just squashes up against the housing, which doesn't seem right to me. I don't doubt that the Oring belongs there, but based on what riot warrior is saying I may not have the right fitting. I have zero idea what is right or wrong when it comes to parts- I can only work with what I was given when I bought the truck and do my best to research and make sure I put things back to the way they belong.

Riotwarrior- would you happen to have a picture of the correct fitting so I can visualize what it looks like? Even my return fitting on the top of the pump looks like a store bought brass fitting, so it wouldn't surprise me if these were swapped out at some point in the trucks past.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here you can see the rigid line that Ford uses to feed fuel to the IP. What you have appears to be a non stock fittkng and I would be concerned about damage to IP if threaded in to far or hard.

Here I am pointint to the feed line from Filter head to IP

I am only GUESSING with this comment however I suspect that brass fitting you have has tapered pipe threads which is not the correct thread....juzt guessing mind you.

OH YA...I have several stock 7.3 Filter to IP lines in stck too btw...

Hope this helps clear up for you the issue we see.

Last edited: