Injection Pump bad?

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok well im still new on diesel engine and especially on the idi, i have confirmed i have a 7.3, now my problem is when i start the truck in the morning i always let it warm up 10 to 15 minutes, i am not sure if my cold idle is working because there is no change in idle even when i tap the gas pedal, after the truck has sat for 10 to 15 minutes and i start driving down the road the engine gets loud, kinda similar sound to the powerstroke 7.3, and it will slightly pull as if i am accelerating hard when im not but only for about a second or two, when i bought the truck i was told the engine had 50,000 miles less that the odometer which would now put it at around 200,000 miles on the engine, i read injection pumps only usually last about 100,000 miles, so could this be a injection pump going bad? how can i tell if its original or not? i am worried about a diesel runway situation want to get this fixed before something happens, i have a pregnant girlfriend and i would like to know if i shouldnt let her ride in the truck until its fixed, i appreciate the help

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Look at the top of the engine. Is there any wet areas around the pump or injecters. As for run away I don't think thats going to happen but its something you feel may happen. Without knowing much more about your engine its hard to say whats going on. Is this a turbo or did someone add a turbo. What year is the truck. Why is the mileage differant as you posted. There is a good way to know what engine you have and thats tell us what the serial numbers are. They are located on the drivers side of the injection pump gear cover. That flat spot of the top of the block. It tells you in the numbers 6.9 ot 7.3... also the 6.9 has smaller head bolts but thats difficult to explain if they are not out of the head. The bolt hex is the way to determine what the engine is,..

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have asked on here before and was told if a 7/16 12 point socket fit on the head botl it was a 6.9 if a 1/2 inch 12 point fit then it was a 7.3, i did check the the head bolts there are 1/2 inch 12 point, the truck is a 1997 and had a 460 original, when that blew the 7.3 idi was installed, i was told it was a 93 but i am not completely positive on that because of the fact i dont have the sensor for the tachometer in the gear cover, it is a non turbo engine, i haven't ran the numbers on the valve cover but the tag does say its a 7.3, i also dont beleave the pump was ever messed with as far as turning it up because there is no smoke at all, no black smoke or white smoke,

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
sounds like air intrusion to me, air intrusion has been beat to death on here. I would start off by changing the fuel filter, checking volume and pressure at the schrader valve. If the truck runs and starts just fine with no smoke besides the acceleration issue then my best guess would be air intrusion. when you change the filter do it after the truck has sat for a long time and note whether the filter is full when you pull it off.

specs for volume and pressure test here

http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/idi.htm

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can be an air intrusion. It can also be the advance plunger in the IP is sticking a little :dunno. Look for fuel leaks around the injection system like icanfixall said. If that checks out, I would replace fuel filter and dump in a bottle of seafoam or atf into the fresh filter and see if that makes a difference. If it is a sticky advance plunger (I think that is the right term), that fuel additive should clear it up. If there is no air intrusions and the treatment doesn't change symptoms, I would lean towards the IP having internal problems

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
If the fuel system checks out ok as far as the air intrusion take the top off of the ip and dump straight atf or your favorite fuel cleaner(preferably something lubricative) into it. that should cure the advance plunger.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
If you're going to do the atf in the filter flush, I would give it the full overnight treatment. IE: Fill your filter with atf/seafoam/dieselkleen (up to you) start it and let it idle until you hear it quiet down a little. It's noticeable, and takes 20-30 seconds to happen. That's the sign it's running on the atf, so shut it down, and let it sit and steep overnight at least.

When I had problems with my advance plunger sticking, I had to do several overnight treatments before it worked itself loose. It's also not always going to work, but it is VERY cheap, and very simple to do. So it's worth a shot.

Another idea, is to disconnect your cold idle advance. Then drive it around and see if it still pulls on you.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, ill try the new fuel filter and ill use trans fluid, got plenty of it, im going to wait until this weekend to do it and ill post back up to see if there was a change, thanks for the help, still loving this site

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin