Injection pump acting up

IDI Til I Die

Reaction score
Hey guys, today I was on my way home in my 86 6.9 and I noticed the engine missed a little bit on startup, not like a cold start miss it was noticeably something in the fuel system. It smoothed out eventually but my whole drive the throttle would either be basically WOT or none at all with just a quarter pedal travel. After about 15 minutes driving the truck shut off going down the road and took a lot of cranking to start back up and once again had strange missing and it couldnt choose a spot to idle for a few seconds. I think my IP may be going out, the thing just feels flat out weird like the pedal isnt accurately controlling fueling anymore and the truck dies randomly. Now this happend a few months ago one time but it hasnt happend since. Do I need a new IP or is this something I could fix? My injectors are brand new.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When was the last a pump instal kit and a return line kit was installed? I think if you installed both, you're problems will go away.

IDI Til I Die

Reaction score
I just installed new return lines and injectors, it had a return line issue before and it ran like a million bucks after I installed new lines up until now.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Were you near a 1/4 tank? Some trucks have the pickup break off and it starts sucking air at 1/4 tank of fuel...

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Well if you just replaced returns and injectors, it would lead me to believe that something got disturbed if this issue is coming about suddenly now. Sounds like major air to me also.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll echo the rest, it definitely sounds like air in the fuel system. I'll bet it goes away once you fill it up and run it for a bit.

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
thats what mines doing to but im 90 perrcent sure its bc my electric fuel pump is junk and its not letting fuel pass thrue it like its soposta and a bunch of outher litel things but mines sucking like a bad fuel filter and turning the light on havent drove it since the last time i barly made it home

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'll try changing the filter first im waiting on my injectors to come in before I replace the return lines and fittings. Hope it's not the I/O

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed injectors and return lines/fittings seems to run quite a bit better but still jerking when i'm at a high rpm and i let off the throttle under a load? still think its air or could this be a bad injector pump? all but two of my injectors looked they were baked in carbon?