In truck middle u-joint replacement

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if any of you guys have used a pnuematic Hammer and the lisle u-joint attachment to replace the passenger side inner u-joint? If so do I have to still disassemble the hub and pull the the outer part of the drive shaft before I can punch the u-joints?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you talking about the u joint in the front axel? I use a ball joint press.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Ball joint press, big c-clamp with big sockets, or pull the differential 3rd member and remove the c-clip so you can put the stub axle on a press.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I pull the differential do I have to pull the drivers side shaft first? I've never touched a d50 differential does it just unbolt without any special bracing or being lifted by the frame? Unfortunately that shaft has to be rebuilt, wish I had just done it when I rebuilt the drivers side.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Yup, you'll have to pull the drivers side shaft to drop the 3rd member. You won't need anything special to drop it, but a jack under the pinion support to catch it helps since it's a heavy pig. Needle nose pliers or 2 flat head screw drivers will do to pop the snap ring out. Just be sure to reinstall it when you're done. I found the hardest part of the whole thing is getting the 3rd member lined back up straight with the new gasket. You'll notice when you're under there that the cat 3rd diff sits ever so slightly above the lip of the axle arm underneath it. Once you've got one bolt started then the rest are easy.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I pulled the axle shafts out of my D50, I just pulled the spindle and they slid out. I didn't have to pull any C clips. :dunno

For the time and aggravation involved, I would just pull the axle and work on it where it's easy to get to... that's just me. I used the air hammer to separate the spindle from the knuckle because I don't have one of those spiffy slide hammer jobs to peck it off.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Perfect time to do a D60 swap. Regardless, I do driveshaft ujoints neanderthal... Cheap impact sockets and a mallet on blocks of wood. Faster than using fancy tools in my experience since they usually come out easy. For axle shaft and larger or particularly crusty joints I use a press. I would not attempt to change axle shaft joints with the shaft in the axle... Would likely be an exercise in frustration and need to pull the shaft anyway. Good opportunity to check and repack bearings and replace seals on your outers.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
When I pulled the axle shafts out of my D50, I just pulled the spindle and they slid out. I didn't have to pull any C clips. :dunno

For the time and aggravation involved, I would just pull the axle and work on it where it's easy to get to... that's just me. I used the air hammer to separate the spindle from the knuckle because I don't have one of those spiffy slide hammer jobs to peck it off.

He's talking about the middle u-joint at the intermediate shaft, the only one that has a c-clip. The entire driver's side shaft and half of the passenger's side shaft pull straight out after removing the spindle, but that intermediate shaft is retained inside the diff.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While you hqve the pumpkin out...suggest an optional upgrade....drill pumpkin and tap for a pipe plug so you can drain fluid when needed.

I dont know if the C clip eliminator spring idea works on D50 but it is done on my D35 in my ranger....

Makes job of replacing that axle again mu h easier

JM7.3CW

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I though about just taking the whole D-50 off and put new bushings and all in it, but this truck is nearing the end of it's service life here on my farm and will replace it here in the next 2 years, it'll probably only drive another 20-30k before being replaced. It's one of those things where I'd like to do it but really don't think I'd be money ahead. Best to just replace what needs to be replaced right now and saving the labor (even my own) which costs so much now a days. will have to think on it. My ford service manual CD got scuffed into oblivion by my kids so I'm waiting on a new one before I start removing parts. Still have 2 months before planting, so have some time.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done it where I just pull the pivot bolt out for the passenger side and drop it down enough to get the ball joint press in there and change it, no need to dismantle half the truck for that.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If I knew how, I could get you a new cd, but I don't think I have to software to do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US