in search of a diesel for the wife

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
So im tired of my gmc jimmy and its tired of me so I am now on the search of something with 4 doors and a diesel truck car suv anything diesel and in fare shape if any of you have anything that fits the bill under 5k or if u want to trade for a all custom gmc jimmy that's been my money pit for 6 years let me know

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To bad your not closer. I've got a 92 crewcab dually flatbed i may sell soon. I was planning on making it 4cx4 at some point but just bought a 94 crewcab instead. I've also got an 87 srw crew I may sell at some point as well.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Ya id like a vw myself but around here a vw under 5k is very hard to find unless it doesn't run lol

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your not going to get much of a diesel for 5K. Oh yeah you can get them for much less, but then they are a money pit to fix up. I see a lot of guys brag about, I bought this sweet one for $1500 or $2500, but you never hear how much after that they put into it.
After 200 hrs working on them fixing the rust, painting, IP change, new tires, glow plugs, reseal the oil cooler, on and on, just little things like that.

What's that under the F350 badge?

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Ya I know its hard I got my f350 for 1500 I needs work but I've only had to put on a water pump and alternator to keep it on the road so I guess ill keep looking for another deal like that

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can't afford a newer vw diesel, but an older mercedes. They are easy to work on an insanely reliable. If you only want to pay $1500 expect to fix alot of minor electrical and vacuum problems when you first get it.
I just got in last night from a 1500 mile road trip with the family in my wifes 85 300td. It has 338k on it and would go cross country tomorrow.

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
X2 on the Mercedes. New parts are expensive, but they are reliable and perform well. (OK, acceleration isn't the best, but they brake and handle very well).

My ex-wife hates diesels. This may be one of the reasons she's now EX. When she moved out she said I could keep all of our then current vehicles (all of which were diesel BTW). She took some of her half of what was our money to buy a brand new Subaru. HAH!

Regards,

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
x3 on the Mercedes. One of my customers has one approaching 300K. One transmission, nothing else but tires, brakes, and other wearables. They are built like a tank, and I think they have some classic charm.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
So im tired of my gmc jimmy and its tired of me so I am now on the search of something with 4 doors and a diesel truck car suv anything diesel and in fare shape if any of you have anything that fits the bill under 5k or if u want to trade for a all custom gmc jimmy that's been my money pit for 6 years let me know

1981 Mercedes 240D - $1000 (San Pablo)

Date: 2011-10-07, 12:57AM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

This car needs a little TLC to get it were it needs to be but it will get the job done .Mileage is awesome, a full tank is like an energizer bunny, and these cars last forever! There are numerous 240Ds that easily push 500k miles and I've even heard of one reaching 900k. Amazing.

You can also use BioDiesel and if you wanted it can be converted to waste veggie oil (SVO or WVO)! Drive for pennies!

It's not a perfect car but I think it's a great car and I'm sorry to let her go.

This is a once in a lifetime rare deal, finding a classic car like this in such good condition with such low mileage!
1983 Mercedes 300D - $1895 (Jacksonville, FL )

Date: 2011-09-11, 9:57PM EDT

Open to trade: am interested in 1970s: Ford, Mercury wagon, Chrysler, Dodge Plymouth wagon.
Went all the way to Dallas, Texas, and drove it to here.
Held the pedal on 70 mph, with room for more, felt like it would do 85 mph.
Engine is the five cylinder Diesel shaker (shakes at idle, revs up smooth).
Transmission: four-speed automatic.
Sun roof works; but, have apply-ed vinyl tape, to sun-roof, because of leakage.
Engine leaks some oil; and transmission leaks some T-fluid.
Exhaust does not have smoke, am thinking that much of the engine oil, and transmission fluid just leak out; although does not leave a big puddle on the ground.
Coolant appears not to have much anti-freeze in it, but, does have some; coolant is not rusty.
Good body, not rusted and corroded at door corners; no rust at window edges; paint does not have any rust bubbles under it; in my way of thinking, the body is the best part of this car.
Four good tires, about 70% tread; spare wheel matches ground wheels, spare tire is damaged, it holds air pressure, but is no-good, original factory crank-type jack , after-market X type wheel wrench.
Radio works, is factory with cassette; have extra radio.
Antenna is power, but the mast is broken and bent.
Doors fit well; one door has a broken stop strap.
Driver door had some damage, which has been repaired, noticed that the hinge bolts have been turned, indicate-ing that the door probably has been removed, and re-installed.
Driver door molding strip (rub rail) is gone.
Driver door lock works; passenger door lock will not work with key; but can be locked by pushing down on lock knob.
Power door locks are vacuum operated, do not work.
Rear door windows are up, but will not move.
Front door windows work as normal.
Crack (mostly vertical) in wind-shield, about five to six inches from passenger side post.
Wind-shield wipers work.
Wind-shield washers work (after I repaired them, with some new parts).
Hood has two-position hinge latches, both now work (I repaired one).
Exterior lights work, include-ing: head; park (one new bulb); brake; tail; license (removed, cleaned, one new bulb); and turn. (Have not yet tested back-up lights.)
Brakes work well, no grab, no squeal, no pulling to the side.
Steering is OK, but, a little too much play, and pulls a slight amount to the right.
Dash gauge lights do not work.
Fuel gauge works; but the low-level light turns on too soon.
Oil pressure gauge works.
Temperature gauge works.
Glow plugs work.
Speedometer works.
Odometer does not work; stop-ed at about 165,000; am sure, the actual mileage is much more.
Tachometer does not work.
Clock does not work.
Air conditioner blows cold, but needs some help; still is R-12 (think the air management doors are not working just right, more of that vacuum trouble).
The controls which work the climate system, are confuse-ing; and the vacuum system is a mess;
--that is the reason for so many vacuum control-ed items to be screwed up.
Engine does not shut off, as soon as the ignition key is turned off, another vacuum problem (am going to work on it).
When this car gets up and rolling, on the high-way, and the turbo is spinning well, the car pulls good.
In city traffic, this car needs to be pulled.
Maybe you have the time, talents, and experiences, and can bring this car back to its full potential.
Charge-ing system is OK.
Transmission shifts well, but can not be held back, with the shift lever, for better acceleration; but, it does have solid shifting.
Have an open title; still in the name of previous owner.
Exhaust system is OK, no leaks.
Have only two keys (one door, one trunk).
Car came with water-stained Haynes repair manual.
Do not have owner's manual.
Seat upholstery looks like it has been replaced, or is good factory original, no tears, looks real nice.
Floor covering is good, but the carpet for the driver needs help; all the other carpets look real nice; on the front passenger side, is a Mercedes mat, on top of the carpet.
Gas pedal has an hole worn through it.
Come look at this car; if you want to make a test drive, you must bring money, or your trade car, show your money to me, to prove that you
--have the ability to buy it (keep your money in your pocket during your test drive).
Paint has a clear coat, mostly peeled off.
Will send more photos, just say when.
Body is not all beat up, it looks nice; but, paint is faded.
Call: 850/321-3736 (Tallahassee, FL number; but, am in Jacksonville, FL).
You are welcome to send E-mail; but, you must include your phone number.
Will delete this ad, when car is sold..

1987 Gold Mercedes 300SDL turbo - $4800 (jacksonville fl)

Date: 2011-09-22, 2:06PM EDT

This Beautiful Gold Mercedes 300SDL Turbo has 175000 miles on engine, has a used transmission with only 80,000 miles on it and just serviced. New a/c, new tires. am/fm/cd player. Lower ball joints and just service completely. The interior is tan and very clean, No rust! In Great shape, Lovely car! Call Chris at (904) 642-8120

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Fly and drive?

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive an 85 jetta turbo diesel. Got it for $800 and put another $2000 into it with tires, all new suspension, rebuilt injectors ip, etc. I did all the work myself.

Easy simple design like our trucks. I can drop the tranny on a driveway without jacking the car up although its an annoying job without a tranny jack.

I was surprised that the car actually has some power as well setup stock! I can even lug the thing on the hills around here.

The old ads said 50mpg but in reality I am not even getting 45 with mixed driving. If I stick to freeway runs at 70mph I am at about 3000 rpms and the mileage shines.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Right now we have 2 tdi's, and yes a decent one under $5,000 is hard to find. We have about $4500 (paid $2500 with a bad trans, $2K for the trans) into Loris 02 Jetta and it has about 235K miles on it now. She just drove it to Indy and back this week and got 45 on the highway.

I just picked up my new winter beater,..1996 VW Passatt TDI with 297K on it. Runs like a top! I have a set of Blizzaks Snow Tires on Steel wheels from my 82 Caddy that I bolted on. Installed new brakes, and a tie rod. Did the normal maintenance and will probably do a timing belt on it soon. I have $1,600 into it and will be driving the wheels off of it. So far I put on 450 miles and have only used 1/2 of a tank of fuel,..5 gal of witch is WMO.

If I run across something for ya Ill let you know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online