Important Info About Champion Radiator Caps

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That works out great on paper, but not on old truck engines. I learned decades ago not to trust old truck engines to anything higher than a 13 lb cap and preferably a 7. Even on olddcars I run teh lightest thing I can get away with . Older engines just have this nasty habit of springing leaks where they arent supposed to.
I don't have the experience that Rob does, but I have to say that I agree completely. I've been running a 7 psi cap for about 5 years now...less stress on the cooling system, and I've noticed no ill effects in terms of engine cooling and whatnot.

My biggest issue with the Evans coolant is that, if you get a major cooling system leak for any reason, you're up a creek...it's not something carried at auto parts stores, and IIRC mixing water with Evans coolant is a serious no-no.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
K just shot this this AM

You must be registered for see images attach

Just thought I'd share this tidbit!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I don't have the experience that Rob does, but I have to say that I agree completely. I've been running a 7 psi cap for about 5 years now...less stress on the cooling system, and I've noticed no ill effects in terms of engine cooling and whatnot.

My biggest issue with the Evans coolant is that, if you get a major cooling system leak for any reason, you're up a creek...it's not something carried at auto parts stores, and IIRC mixing water with Evans coolant is a serious no-no.

I've had that little problem once when I came out to the parking lot at Silver Dollar City and found my freeze plug on the back of teh block had sprung a leak., but if you read the instructions for Evans closely, you can mix it with the Low Tox ( propylene Glycol base ) antifreeze , but no water in a jam if you dont have enough to top off. I Poured some stop leak in and greabed all teh low tox I could find in Branson , and I was able to drag my 5er back over teh Ozarks safely home ( grossing a tad over 18k ) where I could get down to business and pull the engine to replace freeze plugs PROPERLY. Running zero pressure allowed us to make it home. Just for giggles, right before teardown, I put a low pressure rad cap on and fired it up and within 5 minutes, the freeze plug that had been leaking shot clean out of the back of the block, so if we had been running regular coolant that required pressure to keep from boiling going over those hills, we would have had one expensive tow bill to get home

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Mike, that is rated at 1.1 BAR which is roughly 15-16 psi which is good. mine had 1.3 stamped on it which is roughly 19-20 psi.

today i drove to work with my OEM cap on and everything was good. i am chalking up my coolant leaks to loose clamps though.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Ok i sent an email to Champion yesterday about this issue. i got an email back from them today. here it is.

Important info regarding the CC1165 and the cap and its pressure. The 19lb cap it too high...it needs to be the 16lb cap. Please read the email.
Geoff
714-974-1650
800-650-9395 Fax
http://www.championradiators.com

We have already corrected this issue and all of our radiators come with 16lb caps. I checked both the CC1165 and the AE1165 and they both had 1.1 or 16lb caps so please let this customer know. thanks

Cid Martin
Champion Cooling Systems
951 245 9464
www.championcooling.com

The owner at Champion said they have already addressed the issue as you can see his response below. All our radiators will have the 16lb (1.1) caps on them. Please pass the word..thanks!
Geoff
714-974-1650
800-650-9395 Fax
http://www.championradiators.com

i don't know when the switch was made but looks like all the new rads have updated caps. that would explain Al's cap.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I bought my Champion a few days ago and it had the 1.1 cap on it. Either way I swapped it out for the Motorcraft cap today and it seems to be working good...

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too got a champion a few days ago. It was dark when I put mine in, so I thought the cap was stamped "11" as in 11 psi. After reading this thread i went and double checked my cap, and it too is 1.1 bar.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I think this posting has really saved lots of radiaters and cooling systems on these Champion equipted trucks.. Thanks for the fine work guys...:thumbsup:

Reaction score
Just swapped my cap over to a brand new OEM unit. I had originally balked at using it since it seemed slightly shorter than the Champion unit. But that got me thinking; the shorter length probably has something to do with the lower pressure. Maybe a shorter spring? I dunno. I still had to shove it down to get it to turn, which means it is engaging like it should and that's all that matters.

One thing I always noticed with the 1.1 cap is that the system would always have at least a little pressure in it, even if I left it for days. Take today, for example. The truck has not been driven since Thursday, yet when I took the cap off to replace it, I still got sprayed. I never had this problem with the OE cap. Don't know if it is an issue with the cap or the rad, but it sure is annoying. I've been keeping a close eye on the coolant for some time now trying to get a grip on all the leaks, and having the rad send up a small geyser each time I pop the top doesn't help.

Mike

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Just swapped my cap over to a brand new OEM unit. I had originally balked at using it since it seemed slightly shorter than the Champion unit. But that got me thinking; the shorter length probably has something to do with the lower pressure. Maybe a shorter spring? I dunno. I still had to shove it down to get it to turn, which means it is engaging like it should and that's all that matters.

One thing I always noticed with the 1.1 cap is that the system would always have at least a little pressure in it, even if I left it for days. Take today, for example. The truck has not been driven since Thursday, yet when I took the cap off to replace it, I still got sprayed. I never had this problem with the OE cap. Don't know if it is an issue with the cap or the rad, but it sure is annoying. I've been keeping a close eye on the coolant for some time now trying to get a grip on all the leaks, and having the rad send up a small geyser each time I pop the top doesn't help.

Mike

i had that same pressure issue with my champion cap as well.....

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a ton for posting this. I've sprung a few coolant leaks since dropping in the champion, and I have the cap stamped 1.1.

Should I get a cap from ford dealer or is one from Napa just fine?

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a 13 lb cap from NAPA made by Stant. I also looked at the 7 lb which looked about the same, but it is definitely way longer, even with the spring compressed, and won't fit in our radiators. Does anyone have a part number for the 7 lb cap? I was wanting to try one based on the recommendations here, I'm assuming that I won't boil it over even at 7 psi (I'll have the 13 lb cap along anyway, its only $5).