I'm starting to think the mechanic botched it up again.

Ocelotl

Reaction score
How good is this mechanc ??? If you have the room and space to work on your truck, you would be way ahead doing your own repairs.
Around here shops want in excess of $100 an hour - even for "idjits" working on the truck. For that sort of money it would not take long to pay for a real brand new fuel pump and injectors.
Hope you manage to find and fix your problem soon.
Good luck

Oof, don't get me started. I guess he's pretty good, judging by the stories I heard before I went to him about his cracking problems other shops and dealerships hadn't been able to. I was referred to him by my auto paint guy. I just don't think he has a clue about the IDI, what with it not having a plug to connect the diagnostics computer to.

He's a one-mechanic shop, always chock-full of trucks waiting in line to get fixed. The problem probably is that he just gets his nincompoop helpers to work on my truck. He's always harried and running around all over the place, the shop is a mess and he's the kind that trusts his head to remember stuff instead of writing stuff down. Like when I asked for the compression test results, he didn't know other that one jug was low, but good enough. To me that means he either didn't do the test or he got one of his minions to do it. Any good mechanic knows my engine is on wobbly legs just by looking at the numbers.

Other problems like battery cables not being tightened back up after they clearly borrowed it for whatever (this left me stranded in the middle of the night--had to get a bud to come jump start me) or not installing the driver's side bottom caliper pin (I could hear a klunk as soon as I picked up the truck but fixed it myself rather than going back) don't speak highly of him at all.

Oh, and the fact that he used to be a dealership mechanic help to explain his penchant for throwing parts at a problem. That's not good for a cheap bastage like me.

I guess in the end pride and greed got the best of both of us. He wanted the motorcycle I traded with him for the labor and his pride didn't allow him to tell me he wasn't very good at IDI's or that it had kicked his butt, or that he just didn't have the timing equipment. Me, wanting to pay him with a motorcycle I had laying around instead of $, being lazy and not wanting to learn about the IDI or work down by the curb in the heat because my driveway is sloped did me in. At this point I feel like we're even, he installed a full exhaust on it, redid all the brakes and bearings and had to deal with all the rust down there (this truck is from up north), took care of some electrical gremlins, etc. But given his lack of attention to detail there's no way I'd refer anyone to him or go back myself. Live and learn. I'm still gonna go see about what kind of warranty this pump may have, though.

Last edited:

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still, I just went outside exactly 30 minutes after I got back from the test drive and it just wouldn't start after cranking for about 15 seconds. Took my water jug out and drenched the pump and it started right away.

That pretty much nails it down that heat soak is expanding the hydraulic head in your IP enough so that is can't build pressure to inject when its hot. A good pump will cure that.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thickening up the fuel will help with the heat soak but only for a while. A couple of quarts of atf in the tanks will work. Or some oil or some 2 stroke oil mix...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online