i'm ready to scream...

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Much like the bs with motor oil, I'm finding so much censored information on transmission fluid..

It was recommended I put mercon 5 in my tranny. Christ it's expensive... I stopped at 3 quarts. Do I need this premium sludge? Can I just dump the 1 gallon Dex/merc stuff in and call it a wash until the next change? Is the warning on the back just marketing? If I knew it would cost so much for mercon v, I would have never used this crap! :mad:

To further fuel my rage, will mercon v have any benefit? Or am I ******* money at this point?

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I'll just fill up with mercon v the rest of the way. Sick of it. All amsoil trolls and misinformation out there. Can't afford to blow up my transmission....

93 RHD

Reaction score
I know your pain, it cost me 450 dollar for mercon v without the new converter and a service

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I am so tired of misinformation, stupid people and bickering online. I run rotella folks, suck it. Keep your amsoil overpriced Dino lab sludge...

If I had money to burn, I'd just run Dex/merc on top of the mercon v. But I don't. So here comes 10 more quarts at 4.27 each of mercon v fairy dust...

I'm a extremely patient person, almost to a point where I get ulcers.. Yes, that patient! But I find those bounds tested lately! Why must a simple question have so many half witted replies? :mad:cookoo -cuss :puke::dunno-Flame Thr:cry:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a C6 right? Give 'er the regular Dex/Merc and be on your merry way! That transmission was designed well before the fancy fluids came about and can run on just about anything, salad oil included - IMHO there is absolutely no need to spring for the expensive fluid especially for a transmission that is not a fresh build. What a C6 really needs is a good cooler cause she makes lots of heat while pulling heavy uphill, as long as you can keep the temperatures in check you won't have the fluid breakdown the synthetics supposedly hold up better against - so spend your money on that, a heat-resistant fluid does you little good when the rest of the transmission case content can't keep up with it.

As for the Amsoil trolls, I'm at the point where the moment someone says "Amsoil" I just stop listening to whatever follows, lol

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I have 3 quarts of the mercon 5 crap in my pan and possibly the torque converter (had to idle my truck) please tell me I can dilute this with Dex/merc until the next fluid change? I just find fear and gloom I'll blow up my tranny mixing them. Then I find it's backwards compatible (ie ford specs/valvoline maxlife) I have no idea what to believe!

Yes it's a c6

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, so you can't really drain it then... Well, personally I've run a mix of Merc V and Dex/Merc when that's all I had available, wouldn't push my luck with it in an E4OD but my old C6 didn't seem to care one way or the other. But if you're getting the Merc V at under $5 a quart just bite the bullet and run it, Dex/Merc ain't that much cheaper and the trans don't take enough fluid to justify the gamble. What you got left to fill up, like 10-12 quarts? Doubt you'll save more than $15 by switching to Dex/Merc now... Not worth it in my book, and I ain't made of money either. Obviously don't fall for the super fancy Merc V, as long as it's MErc V you should be alright.

Backwards compatibility comes from the fact that older transmissions that were designed for Dex/Merc can safely run Merc V. Can you also mix the fluids without ill effects, idk, like I said I've done it, but just to be on the safe side I'd suggest against it... I know, not what you wanna hear, but you gotta remember bad advice is what got you in this mess in the first place, and since I don't know the chemistry of the two fluids I'd rather abstain from giving you more potentially bad advice.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Dex/merc is JUST fine in the C6. Mixing it with the Merc V, as has been mentioned, is ok too. So long as you keep it cool, it's bullet proof, and will run on nearly anything.

This is your teaching moment. Don't bother sifting through troll dung, just come here. If the search tool can't find your answer, just ask us. Even if it seems like a silly question.

also, we still need to figure out when we can get your rig timed.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PLEASE put you trucks info into your signature....then we don't guess and have to repeatadly ask what engine what trans etc....it's quite helpful.

Now onto the transmission, so long as the fluid is speced for a C6 check old manuals and such printed before the new fancy schmancy oils came into production see whats called.

A better oil is indeed worth the investment if you run hard, both driveline and engine oils, your choice what your truck has in it not ours!

As said C6 runs on about anything, and a very well respected transmission repair guy told me...stuck..got no oil but engine oil...fill it get home flush it...it's just fluid man...it's a hydraulic system that's it. Ya may shift funny for while cause engine oils different but won't hurt SFA. Now that was an emergency fix we discussed.

C6 has a poorly designed thrust washer setup this is where a lot of heat comes from and if you rebuild and install a torrington bearing you have a better stronger longer lasting transmission because of it.

JM2CW

Run whatcha wanna run...but make sure it is clean fresh fluid. All you would do is dilute the premium fluids capability to a lower different rating.

Al

;Poke PS FILL IN YER SIGNATURE PLEASE LOL

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wyreth and mohavewolfpup. Why do we live in such a small valley, yet none of us ever meet up? We can be anywhere in this valley in less than 30 minutes.
Do one of you guys have a meter? Ryan (Reklund) has a meter and is a super nice guy, I'm sure he would be willing to set your timing for you. I need to get my 86 timed, now that I have the Uhaul mystery pump installed on it.

As far as your C6 goes, dont worry about the fluid issue,these old non electronic transmissions are tough and tolerant. Like the others said, you wouldnt want to do it with the E40D but your fine with what you have.
The Chrysler electronic trans is another bad one that doesnt like anything but Chrysler factory fluid.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I installed my BTS E4OD trans and used some Chevron ATF. This was a dry system too. My pan is the Mag Hitech aluminum pan with the extra 2 GALLONS OF FLUID capacity.:eek: When I change that fluid I'm going to have to find a part time job to finance it..... That 2 gallons in on top of the already 4 gallons on the stock trans. Brian told me to add 14 quarts and check it before adding any more. They test run every trans they build so some may have stayed in the trans after draining for shipping... Anybody want the drained atf when I do it. Thats 6 gallons of used fuel if you want it look at it that way...

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for plain old dexIII. Your C6 won't know the difference. Want to see expensive ATF? Price a quart of Toyota World Standard!

And yes, I'm in Vegas too, I have a timing meter, and don't mind helping out. Let's set something up. I'll offer my place even.

Ryan

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I destroyed an old "bullet proof" mercedes transmission one time by putting the wrong fluid in. It can and does happen :O

But I can never remember what I use... I think mercon V maybe. I don't remember it costing a fortune though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7