i'm ready to scream...

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I picked up mercon v at Walmart, going in tomorrow hopefully.

I really appreciate the offers of timing. Not to rush anyone, but I would really love to have it done possibly around 2 weeks or less? My truck has a date with I-15 and it's resulting mountain passes hauling a 32' travel trailer to it's home base here. Will be it's final horrah I suspect on the original pump/injectors. Trailer is due to leave December 1st, but I suspect earlier. The gotcha is I don't drive (yet, late bloomer) so that's why I'm under the local radar. Any help is appreciated to bring the egts under control until I land a job for a injection system overhaul!

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Wyreth and mohavewolfpup. Why do we live in such a small valley, yet none of us ever meet up? We can be anywhere in this valley in less than 30 minutes.
Do one of you guys have a meter? Ryan (Reklund) has a meter and is a super nice guy, I'm sure he would be willing to set your timing for you. I need to get my 86 timed, now that I have the Uhaul mystery pump installed on it.

My only excuse is that I usually work between 60 and 120 hours a week... and I'm never sure what my schedule is going to be, even day of. The fun life of a freelancer. I have a j33300 meter, and mohavewolfpup and I have been trying to set up a time to time his truck for... what 6 months now?

I'm with you, perhaps we should actually try and get together more often... Seeing as we're all in this tiny little valley.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like how our manuals specifically state NOT to use Mercon V, but then you go to the Ford dealer and they say "Oh yes, Mercon V replaces that older stuff and you can run it.". I've got a dollar that says it's not reformulated, and that they just got tired of making what we SHOULD use.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Ford, NOT to use Mercon V was a misprint in there manuals, yes Mercon and Mercon V will mix. The Mercon and Mercon V are licensed from Ford to the oil manufactures, when the Mercon supply is depleted, there will be ONLY Mercon V. Transmission oil's are NOT a variable viscosity just like any Hydraulic oil is not. IIRC they are SAE20 weight, but they do come in different weights for different climate locations. SAE means (Society of Automotive Engineering) for those that don't know it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_International . An SAE designated oil does not contain the additive to very the viscosity like (15W-40), that's why engine oil is recommended to be changed more frequently than tranmission oil (30,000 miles), the engine oil additives wear out, and eventually become one viscosity. It sure is a SLIPPERY SLOPE (pun intended) trying to figure out whats the best oil to use. I'm sure not a lubrication expert, but just what I've learned over the years.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually there is no just Mercon anymore, well maybe there is but you won't find it on the parts stores' and Walmart's shelves. What we get now is Dex/Merc, it's to be used for vehicles that call for either Dextron III (GM) or Mercon (Ford). Considering the ridiculous number of older vehicles still on the roads, I don't see them stopping it from production any time soon.

Also IIRC the ATFs are more like SAE-5 weight, just think how easy they are to pour in cold weather as opposed to say 15W40 oil (which is 15 weight till it heats up), instead they flow very much like the 5W20 engine oils newer vehicles use.

Regardless, Wolfpup got his Merc V, now he just needs to dump it in and then hammer down...

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Well I got it all in a few days ago now, no more transmission leak. I really hope the front oil seal is not leaking now :mad: got a lot of oily gunk on the engine, hope that is just the source of the leak (as it has been before)

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AMSOIL ATF LONG LIFE FLUID

All I use is AMSOIL in my truck, I don't drink city water either...

You must be registered for see images attach

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im going to use Shell spirax wet brake hydraulic oil in the c6 when I do the dually. It is some pretty amazing stuff, and all that has been said above is true. When I was at Evergreen, some dope even put motor oil in 4 tugs, ran for a year and didnt seem to hurt anything.
Vegas39 ,you said Chrysler out loud, please slap yourself. LOL

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im going to use Shell spirax wet brake hydraulic oil in the c6 when I do the dually. It is some pretty amazing stuff, and all that has been said above is true. When I was at Evergreen, some dope even put motor oil in 4 tugs, ran for a year and didnt seem to hurt anything.
Vegas39 ,you said Chrysler out loud, please slap yourself. LOL

Said it was ok I did...confirm it u did...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online