I'm new so please don't yell at me!

Richard Clasby

Reaction score
im sure this info is here somewhere. I have a pretty loud knock on my "new to me" 92 f250 idi with the banks turbo. 170,000 miles. I've read and listened online and it seems like a bad injector. I called the auto parts store and there was no difference in parts between turbo and NA. So my question is what injectors and glow plugs should I purchase? Thank you.

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glow plugs get the Beru/Motorcraft ZD9. As for injectors, and I will submit to a larger knowledge base, but I believe the current thought process is letter codes don't matter much so long as all 8 match. There are a few good places to buy rebuilt factory spec injectors. This article regarding servicing the fuel system should be good help. I have used Oregon Fuel Injection, R&D Performance, and Conestoga Diesel Injection for products and services. All are highly recommended by myself. Good luck.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do NOT use any other Glow Plugs except for Beru/Motorcraft ZD-9s. ALL of the rest will cause you great troubles like swelling, that makes them impossible to remove, in the truck. There are a thousand posts, at least, that support this. :)

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same injectors for N/A vs turbo, pump is turned up a bit on the turbo version.

Richard Clasby

Reaction score
Thank you. That's what I needed to know. I just did the injector-bleed test and I found the bad injector. I'll order tonight and O'Reillys will have 8 here tomorrow. By the way they had two part numbers for 1992 based on the truck manufacture date. Mines 05/92. I love this truck...even "I" can work on it.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run new Stanadyne G code fuel injectors in my trucks.These are what came in new '93 & '94 trucks back in the day,with the optional factory turbo engines.

full

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
E-G. Codes were for emissions trucks? no?
dunno where I got this ,,,but iirc it was a vendor here

Op
New matched pop pressure is the key.

Last edited:

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
E-G. Codes were for emissions trucks?no?

Yep, they were the garbage that was designed for emissions control, not mileage OR performance.

Op
New matched pop pressure is the key.

Good advice there, stay away from parts store specials and read through the hall of shame before you buy from anyone.
Also, make sure you are running a full set of the same style injector, it'll run with a mix of different ones, but nowhere near as well.
If you want the best factory option, get some BB codes from Mel or Russ, either of these guys can help you out if you want to go with more performance oriented than factory as well.

You should be able to find the injector that's bad if that's what it is, did you crack each line and find the hole?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ummmm
It's 0436... Someone needs SLEEP

OP
+1 on the above info from jwalterus

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep parts stores injectors are "remains" which means they pulled them from junk yards cleaned them put back together and passed a very open tolerance test and are not pressure matched. Answere yes it will run but not as good as it should and likley to have shorter life and higher failure rate