I'm in the market. Opinions please!

therifleman556

Reaction score
I want a different truck. I've got a 2002 dakota 4.7L that seems to only want to give me 15 miles per pricey gallon. I know diesel costs more but the fuel economy advantage offsets the price difference (I'm immediately ruling out DPF equiped and newer diesels). My issue with the dakota is so darn many things that can cause one issue (I had a code for cyl 5 misfire that was not resolved even after changing the coil, plug, injector, checking for signal and power at the injector and coil, ect...). In my imagination the perfect vehicle for me is a mechanical cummins with a manual transmission. My beater vehicle has been a 92 F-350 4X4 IDI with an auto trans; its been nothing but fantastic in reliability terms and consistently pulls down 16mpg even with its original injection pump (its getting changed soon). Is my fear of automatics and electronic controls unrational? Common rail and 24 valves are more common and easier to choose a good example from but I've heard the bad from both. Please lend me a hand in understanding the highs and lows of each generation! 12 valves are hard to come by in good condition and low mileage so when I see one for sale I get all exited and want to rush out and snatch it up but I've never even driven one! I dont know what they're like when they run and drive right or any of that. Again; help! Please!

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
I'd just stick to yer IDI diesels or go to a 7.3 powerstroke. IDI's are reliable and parts are cheap. NO COMPUTER CRAP! but you already know all that. My first diesel truck is my 99 7.3. No probs with it and i bought it with over 242k. It now has over 254k and still goin strong. Yea its all computer controlled and stuff. Injectors are pricey too. But I just add 2stroke oil to my fuel to help lubricate. I dont know if my injectors are original. Probably arnt. Tranny is original too. Wish it was a 5 or 6 speed. Once you get an 03 and newer, then you might run into more probs. My 7.3 gets 14 to 18mpg. The cabs and interior is nicer and roomier than the IDI era trucks IMO.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
No experience with the 3rd gen Cummins but have experience with both 12v p-pumped 2nd gens and the 24v 2nd gens I owned a 95 p-pump and a buddy owns a 99 24v. The power out of both stock leaves something to be desired. Mine was a 2wd with a manual tranny that was turned up a wee bit (understatement of the year) that turned 24mpg - no I didn't studder... she would get 24 on the highway and turned in 22mpg with city driving and tossing a little smoke at least 4-5 times a day playing....

My buddy has changed two injector pumps, the second one was after the installation of the high volume fuel supply pump. The only mods he has done has been High volume fuel pump, High flow exhaust manifold, BHAF and an Edge Juice with Attitude. Truck is a 4x4 with an automatic (he has rebuilt this once so far) currently has a wee bit over 200K on the clock. Truck runs strong and turns in about 15mpg on a regular basis (mix of city and highway).

I would if given the chance take a 12v p-pump any day of the week. Cheap easy maintenance, low cost replacement parts, and cheap mods (some you can do yourself like fuel plate). I know my 12v ran stronger than his 24v but then again he didn't have the level of mods mine has but he was behind the 8ball in the fuel mileage dept because of 2 reasons (4x4 and auto trans).

While I love the looks of the 3rd gen dodge I just can justify the lower mileage numbers and ease of mods to the truck to own one - but that's just me....

Now the 2nd gen dodges with the manual trans is NOT BULLET PROOF. the Nv4500 has a nasty habit of tossing the 5th gear nut off the trans but it's fixable. They also suffer from the Killer Dowel Pin but again that's fixable and PREVENTABLE for very low costs. Do those and the engine becomes as close to bullet proof as you can get in my opinion.

Thing to really keep in mind when looking at any vehicle is condition - if the body is in good condition along with the interior then it's probably a safe bet to say that the previous owner showed the same level of care to what's under the hood - not always but more often than not.

therifleman556

Reaction score
I have a friend who claimes his 24valve dually will 18-20 mpg unloaded. Thats a 4X4 too. No Powerstrokes- nothing against them just dont want one, and no GMs-same reason. After eyeing up trucks for the last two years and reading everything I could get my hands on I'm convinced Cummins is the way I wanna go. Back to the 12valve fuel economy; If my NA F-350 can turn in 16mpg with an auto, I should think the cummins numbers should be well north of that.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
I love the cummins but the truck around it isnt usually good. I'd buy a dodge over a gm anyday. I'd stick a cummins in my Ford if i had the money. My powerstroke 7.3 hasnt given me any probs since I've had it. Not the fastest motor out there but will pretty much pull anything. I like the looks of the dodges and you cant beat the cummins. Really great motor.

therifleman556

Reaction score
Im the same way. If I had the time and funds, my '78 Ford body would be setting atop my '92 F-350 running gear with a P7100 fueled B series under the hood, but alas...

GWDriver

Reaction score
Interesting posts here to say the least. I really like my '03 and get pretty good fuel mileage as well. Of course, that's stock (for now). I've always liked the Ford style and have had outstanding performance with my GM products. My '88 Suburban (recently sold) had over 352,000 miles on the clock. To my knowledge, it was the original engine and I bought it in '94 with 90k+ miles on it. Of course, that was a gas rig.

I think all of the big 3 manufacturers have produced some nice trucks, some better than others. Like a recent diesel rag article, I'd like the toughness of the Ford body and frame, a built Allison trans and the Cummins TD. Probably couldn't get any better than that.

Elliott

Reaction score
Well Iraq right now but really Evansville IN
I have a 2004 Ram Cummins 1ton 4X4 SRW 4door 6 speed. I get 22-23mpg doing 55 and 65 on the interstate i get about 19mpg. I haul a car trailer with a derby car doing 55 and get about 17-19mpg's. Hope that helps

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online