I'm going IDI crazy.

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I haven't been around much on the count that I went to the dark side for a couple months but, I'm back with more IDI's than before. I'm up to four now and counld not be happier. I still have the truck thats in my sig but I got a smoking deal on 99' SD and have been driving that for a while but its just not the truck for me, So I picked up a 94 Crew Cab, XLT, lwb, SRW, Factory turbo IDI, 4x4, 5sd. The truck is in really good shape with no rust and only minor dings and dents but the motor is locked so the day after buying this truck I went and bought a 92 extra cab dually 2wd xlt Auto. This truck was a really nice truck until the previous owner got drunk and drove it into a ditch and bent the frame and destroyed the bed and front suspention. But this truck has 150,000 and a like new Sidewinder turbo kit on it. So which turbo is better The factory ATS or the Banks? And then just to top it off a week later a super nice 86 extra cab 4x4 XL 4sd goes on craigs parting out with no title, But I couldn't let that happen to it so I bought the whole thing and am now going to get a title and probably just sell it whole. Just thought I would try to redeem my self and show I am really a sucker for an IDI. I will try and get pics of all the trucks tonight.

Later, David

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Both of the turbos have good and not so good "things" about them. The Banks is mounted really way back there and not easy to get at the glow plugs but it can be done. The ATS id mounted farhter forwards but sometimes they have trouble removing the exhaust slip joint. Some have even lifted the cab because the turbo wouldn't pull apart. Welome back too.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both of those turbos are wastegated, so they should be about the same, although the Banks will probably do better unless the ATS is equiped with the upgraded exhaust housing and downpipe. Biggest problem with Banks is they keep you captive with "their" K&N air filter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online