im done with automatic!!

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
im so done with automatics!! my new to me trans is already giving me problems its slipping bad in 2nd when the trans is warmed up and its shifting hard! i found a guy thats selling a brick nose f250 idi for 1500 its a 7.3 5speed and im going to go look at it tomorrow night. whats involved in a stick swap? and i would have most of the parts to do the swap from the donor truck all i wound need is a set of 92-96 clutch pedals correct?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pedals will be different. the OBS pedals can still be had at the stealership.
clutch master cyl will have different mounting holes.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
im so done with automatics!! my new to me trans is already giving me problems its slipping bad in 2nd when the trans is warmed up and its shifting hard! i found a guy thats selling a brick nose f250 idi for 1500 its a 7.3 5speed and im going to go look at it tomorrow night. whats involved in a stick swap? and i would have most of the parts to do the swap from the donor truck all i wound need is a set of 92-96 clutch pedals correct?

Go see Bob. He will fix it. He stands behind all his work

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
Bob just put the bushings and seals in the front pump he didnt rebuild the whole trans i couldnt afford that at the time but now that im back to work i want a 5speed i miss grabbing gears

Last edited:

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
yep i should have just got the whole thing rebuilt but i couldnt. brick nose im looking in sounds like a decent deal but im goin to try and talk him down some.

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
anybody have or know of a link that shows and or tells whats involved in swaping a zf5 in place of a e4od?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
id have it with auto's with 400k miles too.:D
don't consider one of those? after all it lasted how many owners who probably didn't care for it properly.so it must not be a consideration.the zf5 must be the better transmission.after all,no ones clutches go and after they pay well over 1 grand,don't go saying they've had it with stick shifts.its time to swap in the E40D.
you guys kill me.:D

ask for a raise of hands from zf5 owners who had one last for 400k without replacement once or twice,or without a new clutch (which cost more than a good used E40D by the way) benton.;)

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
the new to me trans dont have 400k on it! i towed with the 400k trans and it killed it the orginal owner didnt and i havent even loaded the truck and this one is starting to slip under normal driving condition! ive always had manual trucks and never had a problem this is my 1st auto and ive had nothing but! so yea im done with autos all togather i need a stick there more reliable and i just like them better!

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh.well talk about bad luck then.well how many miles was on the used one? not enough to brag about either?

you understand these trans are electronically controlled,and it could be something simple? are you sure its slipping? what year trans did you put in? did you use the TC that came with it,or the original one?
does your speedo/tach work trouble free,and no blinking OD light etc?

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
maybe 200!?! im not to sure but it was fine when i first got it in and then when i started driveing it to work every day i would fire the truck up in the morning and it would head down the road fine and it shifts ok but alttle later when its warmed up it slips like crazy

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
the light is not blinking the tach works great and i used the TC that came with the trans the old trans had to much metal in the pan to risk useing the old TC the trans was out of a 92 same year as mine

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmmm.
how old is the radiator in this truck? original? have you unhooked the cooler lines to the trans cooler part of the rad to make sure it isn't plugged up?
does it happen to have an external cooler,and do you have a trans temp gauge by any chance?

oooooooh.
did you by chance think to remove and replace an external cooler,and flush the lines,including the radiators cooler to get any metal out?
it would have been a great time to install an external filter once you noticed the metal in the original trans too.you didn't add one by any chance at the time?

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
it has a external cooler and its not plugged. and no i dont have a temp gauge