Ill behaved truck

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been having a clunking when hitting a bump. It doesn't do it all the time, it's most pronounced when I'm backing into the driveway and the tires drop off the pavement. It's noticable when driving across the yard too.

I'm curious if it's possible for a bad shock to cause it? This is an ongoing issue that is starting to get just a little bit more noticeable lately.

The truck was recently in for an alignment, nothing was loose except for the passenger wheel bearing which they tightened.

I also have a shimmy/vibration at 30ish-45mph. And the truck seems to wander (which is why I took it in for an alignment). I know this could be tires but they balanced out ok..

The vibration isn't exactly the same all the time. It almost seems like throttle affects it but not quite. I'm not sure how to explain it. It's always worst between 35-40. You guys previously suggested universal joints which have since been changed to no affect. The shop said they were ok but I had them changed anyway so I know they'll be ok for a while.

I have recently replaced or had replaced the following:

All three universal joints
Radius arm bushings (poly)
Axle pivot bushings (rubber)

The front sway bar is out right now waiting for new bushings. I was hoping that was my clunk but it's not.

Rear sway bar bushings appear ok from a visual inspection.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm almost wondering if it's possible for a bad shock to play a part in the vibration. It's just a shot in the dark, I realize its not likely.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clunking on hitting a bump - check the shock mounts, rear and front.
If the end of the shock has some play in it, you'll probably be replacing the shock bolt(which will be worn) and possibly welding a washer on either side of the now-wallowed hole.

I've had this on, well, 2 or 3 IDIs so far, as well as my mom's '02. Easy fix, relatively speaking.

Make sure the replacement bolt is /tight/, so the steel insert inside the shock bushing doesn't move.

Edit: vibration. Put a floor jack under the rear differential, jack it so both rear tires are an inch off the ground. Fire the truck up and put it in gear; ge the wheels spinning 25mph or so. Go look at the driveline and rear tires with it spinning; look for whats turning true and what's moving around.
might be a particular driveshaft end(u-joint?), carrier, bent driveline etc. Or nothing and you can rule out all those things.

Last edited:

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess would be worn leaf spring bushings. Assuming it is a 4x4 with ttb. Mine did the exact same before I replaced the bushings.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess would be worn leaf spring bushings. Assuming it is a 4x4 with ttb. Mine did the exact same before I replaced the bushings.

Nope, it's actually 2wd but I've replaced all the front bushings anyway...

check the shock mounts, rear and front.

I checked them before and they are tight, but I didn't physically remove them yet either. I was considering removing them and drivng around the block to see if there's any change. That won't happen until after I get the new bushings in my sway bar and put that back in.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do your body mounts look? Mine are shot in the front and make a similar sound

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Does the truck have a sway bar? My Excursion had a clunk that sounded like a shock, but it was the sway bar end link and bracket bushings.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the truck have a sway bar? My Excursion had a clunk that sounded like a shock, but it was the sway bar end link and bracket bushings.

Front one is removed, rear one LOOKS ok. Its on my list of bushings to replace.

How do your body mounts look? Mine are shot in the front and make a similar sound

I knew I forgot something. Body mounts are about 3 months old. I put the poly bushings in from Prothane. Truthfully I didn't do the rad support ones yet so that's a place to look.

Old ones were SHOT

You must be registered for see images attach