Ignition switch

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed the past few times I've driven my truck that I have to wiggle the ignition cylinder to get the chime to shut off when I remove the key, and now today it wouldn't crank the engine in the "start" position, unless I got the key tweaked just right. I'm thinking I've finally worn out something in there- I seem to remember some discussion about some linkage or something that is pot-metal and wears? It's been years since I had a column apart in one of these- can somebody shed some light on what I'm up against?

Ryan

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
the actual switch is mounted on top of the steering columnnn about 6" down the colum. a rod then runs up the colum and attaches to a gear mechanism that the end of the key cylinder pushes on...

couple things. the switch itself is known to go bad (in my case get very hot and melted)

the little gear at the end of the key cylinder sometimes strips out..

to take the key cylinder out you put your key in turn it to the run position and take a pick or sharp small opject and right underneath the key cylinder you will see a little hole. push really hard and pull on the key cylinder..should pop right out. just remember you have to line everything back up when you put it back together to make sure Run is Run and Start is Start...ect..ect

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pot metal piece inside the column usually breaks in half. Then the keyswitch system won't go far enough to crank the engine over. If your engine cranks over, the pot metal piece is ok. I would replace the ignition switch, it's not that expensive.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The ignition switch is adjustable too so make sure you adjust it or things wont start right....

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any idea's on where to get an ignition switch, cause mine just broke today

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Autozone or O'Reilly's have them, they are really cheap and easy to install.

I would put one in just as soon as your original gives you any sign of grief at all to avoid being stranded and having to do desperate things (read breaking stuff) to get the key out or start your truck.

Super easy job, did mine a couple years ago and can't remember the details, but I remember doing a search on here and it not taking more than 20 minutes or so to put the new switch in.