Ignition Help for a friend

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine who has helped me with some trans / clutch swaps on my quad cab and a gasser truck has a chance to get an 89 IDI F250 for basically free and since I'm at least somewhat competent with these I went to look at it with him. The truck is beautiful, but has a bad dmf and no reverse, and the guy who owned it "parted out" the steering column.

Never fear, because I have my old ZF5 from my 7.3 sitting in the upstairs garage at my place that just had the rear mounting tabs broke. My buddy fixed that and the trans is fine and ready to be a donor. I also have a steering column from my 89 gasser that he can have with keys and whatnot, but the stupid little plastic box on the side of the steering column where the "sliding metal thing that moves when you turn the key" (I don't know what it really is called) broke off on mine, and when we tried to put the column from my truck in the other and use the connector on this steering wheel that was cracked it's like it's not making contact.

He has a line on another steering column if I *****'d mine I was going to give him, but in the meantime is there anyway to jump certain wires on the connector I'm talking about to simulate "key on"? I already just ran positive 12v to the IP and jumped the solenoid and started the truck and we had it running and moving forward around in a field.

At this point we just want to drive it to his house so we can take it from there at his shop, but we want to be able to actually have the thing "on" and not "IDI on" if possible.. It's only going to be on back roads for the drive but still it's not registered and all of that fun and isn't going to be until he gets it back together and fully checked over. Assuming the steering works the thing has practically no rust and can make him a really nice truck for all the owner is asking from him money wise, but we just don't want to keep messing with it in his garage if we can get it home. Worst case we can always just trailer it but we don't have a trailer.. If we just drive it as is, we're nervous it's going to shut off randomly or something and we won't be able to start it back up without at least something resembling an ignition even if it's a toggle switch to the starter solenoid to start it and another to simulate "key on" with current steering column. Maybe it doesn't work because it was from a gasser? Just thought of that though I am pretty sure they are interchangeable if they are from the same generation and these are even from the same year.

Thanks for the suggestions as always.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is broke is the steering column lock actuator, pain to change is have not done it before. It controls the steering wheel lock and the ignition switch by the means of a rod. You can go down to the ignition switch , lower on the column and operate the switch there, off, run, start, although it a little tricky to push it down to start position. Can always jump it out at the solenoid to start. But push it down a little until normal things come on and things will operate just like when you turn the key to on/run. And it the steering wheel lock pin is not engaged you should be good to go.

Also the actuator is the same 1980- 1991.

Last edited:

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The key moves and turns the rod on the side of the column though it's just not touching whatever it's supposed to make contact with inside the white plastic connector with all the terminals on the side of the column.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The key moves and turns the rod on the side of the column though it's just not touching whatever it's supposed to make contact with inside the white plastic connector with all the terminals on the side of the column.
That is normal when it breaks , you go down to the switch itself to operate it. Use like a Philips screw drive to stick in where the rod goes.
the white plastic connector is the ignition switch.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian, I had a similar issue when my actuator broke. It would move the rod everywhere except it wouldn't push it far enough to actually start.

Have you pulled that ignition switch on the bottom of the column off and made sure it looks ok? If that part is actually working you could just manually slide that with a screwdriver and see what it does.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It still even slides with the key but the end of the rod doesn't make contact with the back sides of the pins anymore. I don't know if the plastic part that mounts to the steering wheel just isn't down far enough or what the issue is.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ignition switch is the box mounted down low on the column which is actuated by a mechanical rod attached to the key cylinder. Sounds like everything is OK at the key cylinder and the problem is related to switch adjustment. If memory serves, the mounting holes on the switch
You must be registered for see images attach
are slotted allowing you to move the switch towards the steering wheel or towards the floor.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It still even slides with the key but the end of the rod doesn't make contact with the back sides of the pins anymore. I don't know if the plastic part that mounts to the steering wheel just isn't down far enough or what the issue is.

That would be my guess. Are you sure the rod is even in the right place on the switch? I'm wondering if it's not setting in the hole on the switch. Either way it sounds like you need to pull the switch off and see what you're dealing with. Might be a good idea to pull the whole column and set it on the tailgate so you can see better.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Brian. Could you get some pics of what you are talking about? Or maybe a short video?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not at the truck (at work) but in the picture catbird posted above, the white plastic piece had fell out of the metal slider and when we put it back in it's like its not seating down the entire way in the metal portion that bolts to the steering column. If it is, then it's like the actuator rod isn't making contact with the back side of the switch to trigger anything to actually do something.

I can get pics this weekend I'm going to try and mess with it one morning over memorial day weekend somehow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarleyCummins

Members online