IDI's in Medium Duty Apps

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I have such a beast. She runs OK. I have had the truck scaled at 34,000 and about 42,000 gross combined with a small tanden trailer and tractor.
The truck has a six somethin rear in it so top speed is 65mph @ like 3400rpm.
I want to put taller gears in it but I am afraid to kill my low end especially when backing into soft yards.
We used to have a 92 IDI class 8 full size school bus and she would top out @62mph. Even with pump turned up she would loose 3-5mph just crossing over passes. I will never own another IDI in a mid range or heavy truck/bus unless it is a steal of a deal.

Is this the S1600 that you have in your profile or a different one?

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
Is this the S1600 that you have in your profile or a different one?

Yes, its the truck listed in profile. I am all for trying more mods on it.
The weight I posted earlier of 34,000 is loaded with crushed concrete. Truck weighs 13,400 unloaded.
Below is a link to my you tube page. I have three videos of the truck posted.
http://www.youtube.com/user/cumminsthunder#p/a

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
You probably have a 6.20 in the back end. What transmission do you have in it?

I checked out the videos; this is one of those moments having a couple hundred lb/ft extra torque would make life easier.

If you want to do something immediately, Russ' (username: typ4) torque cam is a drop in. Sounds like you already have a pickup style pump on it already, since it goes out to 3400 rpms.

Another idea, albeit a little more work, is a set of headers for the turbo system. Al_E made a set for his tandem axle, IDI powered pickup truck, and the boost response and throttle response is really quick. ididiesel has been talking about making headers for the IDI's too. The stock manifolds are really restrictive.

How's the mileage empty and loaded with the S1600?

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with the IDI being vehicular suicide in anything heavy. I think it's far less than poor at 15K with a 1 ton truck.

I don't know what IDI things you want to test, but it seams to me an IDI is flat maxxed out around 15K. If you wanted to push it's limits for testing I think a 1 ton dually with a small bit of weight on it is more than enough to turn a modded IDI into a snail.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
The trans is a 4045D Spicer. The rear is Spicer 2spd and the ratio is more like 6.54 in high range. I would kill for an OD 6 or 7spd!!!!;Sweet Just having an OD trans would make a world of difference.
I think all the videos were starting in 1/H and split 4th gear as its tall compared to 3rd.
My local Spicer dealer wants $1600 to install and set up gears if I bring them my third member!! International dealer wants $800 for just the ring and pinion.
Spicer dealer said somthin like $7000 just for a new OD 6spd!!:rotflmao
If I keep the 444 I need to install IDIT pistons, wrist pins and rods. I have already broken a wrist pin so..... The headers would be nice but tough to pull off in a mid range as the motor sits between the frame rails.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26074&d=1251234959
See what I mean?
As for the mileage, I do not calculate it. I keep track of fuel burned but never calculate the mileage. I simply do not want to know. All I know is that the truck makes good money.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with the IDI being vehicular suicide in anything heavy. I think it's far less than poor at 15K with a 1 ton truck.

I don't know what IDI things you want to test, but it seams to me an IDI is flat maxxed out around 15K. If you wanted to push it's limits for testing I think a 1 ton dually with a small bit of weight on it is more than enough to turn a modded IDI into a snail.

I was thinking the same thing. If it came down to it, putting a 5er on the back and maxing the weight out might be a better choice.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
The trans is a 4045D Spicer. The rear is Spicer 2spd and the ratio is more like 6.54 in high range. I would kill for an OD 6 or 7spd!!!!;Sweet Just having an OD trans would make a world of difference.
I think all the videos were starting in 1/H and split 4th gear as its tall compared to 3rd.
My local Spicer dealer wants $1600 to install and set up gears if I bring them my third member!! International dealer wants $800 for just the ring and pinion.
Spicer dealer said somthin like $7000 just for a new OD 6spd!!:rotflmao
If I keep the 444 I need to install IDIT pistons, wrist pins and rods. I have already broken a wrist pin so..... The headers would be nice but tough to pull off in a mid range as the motor sits between the frame rails.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26074&d=1251234959
See what I mean?
As for the mileage, I do not calculate it. I keep track of fuel burned but never calculate the mileage. I simply do not want to know. All I know is that the truck makes good money.

There's a place close to me that can get new and used centersections and are priced a lot better than a dealer. I changed my rears out from 3.90s to 3.36s (went too far; should have put 3.55s in) in my semi, and they have transmissions also. If you are running local, going new is not necessary. And it's not like you can break a Spicer everyday; unless you are that brutal.

I'll tell you a quick story. Pittsburgh Power builds insane Cummins KTA motors for on road apps. We're talking over 1000hp at the wheels with about 3600lb/ft of torque. One of their customers is an old timer that has a 79 Pete daycab that pulls a dump, doing what you do. He stuck one of these engines in his work truck, with the stock, unrebuilt 1200-1400 ft/lbs rated transmission. Because of the way he drives, he never had to replace the transmission even though he has 2.5 times the torque running through it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

I regularly gross over 18k and my rig sails along just fine, maxxed out, not hardly, Heck, I turned my pump DOWN to save fuel and because I dont like having to babysit the pyrometer( besides, I've got just the right gears to keep it rolling where I want it to :D

People are spoiled nowdays. The first Semi trucks I drove had less power than my pickup ( and less gears too on some of them :D

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I regularly gross over 18k and my rig sails along just fine, maxxed out, not hardly, Heck, I turned my pump DOWN to save fuel and because I dont like having to babysit the pyrometer( besides, I've got just the right gears to keep it rolling where I want it to :D

People are spoiled nowdays. The first Semi trucks I drove had less power than my pickup ( and less gears too on some of them :D

C'mon man, you have 15 gears to play with!;Sweet Twin stick'n, truck drivin' man.

I never asked this, where does your motor tach at at 65-70mph? How's the loaded mileage?

And ya dang right we're spoiled. Easy work when you can go loaded at 80-100mph up a hill with the average new pickup with a programmer.LOL;p

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
There's a place close to me that can get new and used centersections and are priced a lot better than a dealer. I changed my rears out from 3.90s to 3.36s (went too far; should have put 3.55s in) in my semi, and they have transmissions also. If you are running local, going new is not necessary. And it's not like you can break a Spicer everyday; unless you are that brutal.

I'll tell you a quick story. Pittsburgh Power builds insane Cummins KTA motors for on road apps. We're talking over 1000hp at the wheels with about 3600lb/ft of torque. One of their customers is an old timer that has a 79 Pete daycab that pulls a dump, doing what you do. He stuck one of these engines in his work truck, with the stock, unrebuilt 1200-1400 ft/lbs rated transmission. Because of the way he drives, he never had to replace the transmission even though he has 2.5 times the torque running through it.

I do not doubt the ability of my trans and maybe the clutch to hold a good bit more power. But, I NEED more gears especially if im gonna put taller gears in the rear.
As for a well modded IDI in a long haul situation... Sounds like a troublesome motor and a pissed off driver.
I have been told that Internatinal makes the frames for the F-650 and up.? If that is true than in theory I could pretty much bolt a 5.9 Cummins into this thing using F-650 mounts? I would like to do a 466 but the Cummins is so common because of the ram it just seems like the way to go???
What do yall think?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I do not doubt the ability of my trans and maybe the clutch to hold a good bit more power. But, I NEED more gears especially if im gonna put taller gears in the rear.
As for a well modded IDI in a long haul situation... Sounds like a troublesome motor and a pissed off driver.
I have been told that Internatinal makes the frames for the F-650 and up.? If that is true than in theory I could pretty much bolt a 5.9 Cummins into this thing using F-650 mounts? I would like to do a 466 but the Cummins is so common because of the ram it just seems like the way to go???
What do yall think?

You don't have to do the Cummins, the DT series engine bolts in, and it's a better engine between the two. The DT can support more power, and the same things you did to your pickups you can do to the DT, but the torque is WAY stronger. Besides, DTs are a dime a dozen. Can get them in 360-570ci sizes, electronic or mechanical, rotary or inline pumps, and the P pump was available.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
You don't have to do the Cummins, the DT series engine bolts in, and it's a better engine between the two. The DT can support more power, and the same things you did to your pickups you can do to the DT, but the torque is WAY stronger. Besides, DTs are a dime a dozen. Can get them in 360-570ci sizes, electronic or mechanical, rotary or inline pumps, and the P pump was available.
We are both thinking on the same track for the most part... I know about modifying a P-pump 466 and how great of an engine it is. I would rather do the 466 but I think the best way for me to do that is find a school bus and rob it of its engine, intercooler/radiator, newer style hood if its 89 or newer, dog house, motor mounts, and what ever else id need off of it. I do not want to run a automatic tho so id need to locate a manual transmission that can handle the 466. The main reasons I mention the cummins is because I already have lots of cummins stuff laying around and I figure the transmission and clutch I have in the truck will handle the cummins to a decent power level because it is no doubt less of a motor.
I often ask myself why do all this to a dime a dozen truck??? I try to re-assure myself with things like its a pretty rare class 6 with air brakes, truck only has 65k on it, and I have pretty much rebuilt the whole truck already.
I guess the main thing is I like to have unique trucks with lots of power to spare;Sweet

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
We definitely think alike. To me, a truck should have a minimum 450hp with 600-650hp as an average. The more power you have the easier it is to drive, and the better the mpg. I talked to the guy that owns Garmon's Diesel about their 700+hp shop truck. It still gets over 30mpg just poodling along. I wonder what that compound turbo Cummins could do in a MD?

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
We definitely think alike. To me, a truck should have a minimum 450hp with 600-650hp as an average. The more power you have the easier it is to drive, and the better the mpg. I talked to the guy that owns Garmon's Diesel about their 700+hp shop truck. It still gets over 30mpg just poodling along. I wonder what that compound turbo Cummins could do in a MD?
Well, thats exactly what I would do if a installed the Cummins. From my experiance the Cummins gets better mileage to about ~700hp and from there it slowy starts to go down hill due to the sloppy injectors required to flow that kind of fuel. I like that the 466 should have no problem lugging tall gears at near idle speeds. I dont own a manual trans cummins but have driven plenty and can say for sure they have far more low end than the already decent low end of the 7.3. My 02 ram has compounds so I know that without a doubt that is what I would do to either the 466 or the cummins.
My main issue right now is money. I just dont have the kind of cash laying around to take that truck out of service and install a inline motor of some sort. Maybe next year.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
C'mon man, you have 15 gears to play with!;Sweet Twin stick'n, truck drivin' man.

I never asked this, where does your motor tach at at 65-70mph? How's the loaded mileage?

And ya dang right we're spoiled. Easy work when you can go loaded at 80-100mph up a hill with the average new pickup with a programmer.LOL;p

This is terrible, but I just don't pay much attention to what the engine speed is, I can't remember what it is at 65-70 :dunno I just remember it drops near 500 rpm slipping it into OD . If memory serves me ( don't count on it, I can't get any dang service around here :rotflmao loaded mileage is now up to 13.1 and that's pulling heavy and steady in 4 over on a nice flat run to TX

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online