IDI to PSD conversion???

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
i attached 2 pics lets see if it worked. but really thats it only a weekend? i figured it would take about 2 weeks lol.

Like i said. if you get 94.5-97 powerstroke donor truck, it will all bolt and plug into your 92-94 truck. So yes, a weekend

clp13294

Reaction score
Like i said. if you get 94.5-97 powerstroke donor truck, it will all bolt and plug into your 92-94 truck. So yes, a weekend
man your awesome thats exactly what i wanted to hear thanks a bunch. And thankyou, the truck doesnt really have a lift, the back is just jacked up a little bit because it has "more/bigger leafsprings" i bought it like that, the PO used to pull a 5th wheel tri-axle trailer with it every week so he jacked up the weight rating in the back. and let me tell ya its the stiffest riding damn truck around, unless its got 3k pounds of weight in the bed then its not so bad lol. but the PO plowed with it for 2 seasons as well so thats what gave me the incentive to do the frame over. i guess the truck could benefit from a leveling kit too, sorta sits low in the front, but overall im very happy with how it came out. i found 2 pics of the truck before i did it over so you can kinda see what i started with.

Attachments

• IMAG0096.jpg
    IMAG0096.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMAG0097.jpg
    IMAG0097.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 17

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dude,your about 20 minutes from me!

anyways its a very simple swap.get a donor truck!get one with the same color interior and the swap is even easier.remove both dashes with everything still in them and swap them.if you have AC you will need a donor that has AC as the non AC trucks dont have any of the wiring for the compressor in any of the harnesses.frame mounts for the motor mounts are the same,trannies are the same except the solenoid packs on the automatics.a friend of mine may have everything you need including the motor.i can find out if you like.the parts if he still has them are only about an hour away in NH.

clp13294

Reaction score
sorry i havent gotten back to you guys recently, i was having trouble remembering my password for the site lol i got a million of em. @biggin, thankyou very much it is much appreciated especially coming from someone who knows what it takes to make the truck what it is btw your truck is quite snazzy as well:) reallllllyyy diggin the look of those rims on the extended cab. hey Rich where abouts in massatwoshits are ya? i actually got the bed for my truck from a guy in new hampshire who had like his own scrap yard for these trucks, i think i may be buying a plow setup off of him as well. i wonder if he's the same guy your talkin about. to be honest i might try and find a truck with grey interior to do the swap because personally i hate the red interior and will probably just end up swapping the whole thing, but if not then hell with it, atleast it will have a PSD in the end.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not the same guy.i talked to him the other night.all he has left is some of the wiring,brackets and a junk motor.

im in rockland now,originally from brom brockton

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you end up piecing it let me know.i know where alot of the parts youll need are.just dont know of any whole trucks for sale

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Sounds like a sweet conversion when you start it. Post some pics of your progress. Would be great info for others.

clp13294

Reaction score
Sounds like a sweet conversion when you start it. Post some pics of your progress. Would be great info for others.

yeah ill make sure to upload the pics of my progress in this thread,not sure how soon it will be. although it would be nice to have done before winter gets here because im not sure if the clapped out IDI is going to hold up to plowing this season(assuming we get snow, after all this is new england)

clp13294

Reaction score
this is most likely out of the question but how big of a task do you guys think it would be to drop a 6 liter in the truck? saw videos of an 86 former idi that now has a 6.0 PSD in it and after watching the video it immediately got my mind turning lol.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
VERY involved. If you dont like wireing, then stay FAR away from a 6.0

If you want something different yet simple(mechanical, not electrical) do a DT360

clp13294

Reaction score
VERY involved. If you dont like wireing, then stay FAR away from a 6.0

If you want something different yet simple(mechanical, not electrical) do a DT360

I would definitely consider that but unfortunately there arent a lot of them out there for sale because everyone just scraps all the mid size vehicles like busses and stuff for weight. i would definitely like to keep it international as i am not a big fan of badge bashing but a lot of people are pointing me towards a 12 valve cummins which i wouldnt really mind because i like the 12 valves a lot, they are mechanical and they haul ass, simple. only problem is that the adapter parts are a bit expensive and the original plan was to pull the IDI, sell the banks kit and the engine separate and use the money to help fund the swap but christ if i sell the turbo and engine that will buy me my motor mounts and my adapter plate MAYBE and i havent even bought an engine yet or rebuilt the E40D to hold up to the cummins. my mind is going crazy right now:dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online