IDI to PSD conversion???

clp13294

Reaction score
hey everyone, new here. just lookin to throw a topic out there that id like to pursue sometime soon. ive got the thought of swapping a powerstroke into my 94 f350 that currently has an idi in it. the idi has 150k on it and its startin to burn some oil and i can feel it losing power as the miles are increasing so id like to eventually change the motor out but i wouldnt even ponder the thought of sticking another idi in it. im not all impressed with it even tho its got the banks sidewinder turbo on it i still feel like i need more out of the truck and i think a powerstroke would be an awesome replacement to the ol' mechanical pre combustion engine. im sure the first solution you guys are gonna throw at me is "just sell the truck and buy a truck with a powerstroke in it" that right now isnt an option, i just did the whole truck over. replaced the bed, sandblasted the frame and POR15'd it and then sanded the whole truck down to bare metal, filled it, and had it painted. in other words im not selling the truck. so back to the topic at hand, what would a conversion like this require? ive heard that the motor mounts are the same the only real problem is the wiring. what kind of wiring am i lookin to get into here? i know all the powerstroke stuff is plug and play but things like behind the dash for all the sensors and gauges is what im concerned about. what do i have to do for the conversion to be all done correctly? if anyone has a writeup or a walkthrough on this then it would be greatly appreciated as it would be nice to know what im getting into. thanks...btw i plan on purchasing a donor truck so i should have everything i need right here.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Step one, buy a donor truck.

Step two, take engine/tranny and all wiring out of donor truck.

Step three, take IDI and associated parts out of your truck

Step four, replace with powerstroke and components.

Cant say its straightforward, with all the powerstroke wiring, but definatly not a super hard swap (supposidly motor mounts are the same, same trannies, etc.).

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
wiring is very integrated and complicated from what i hear on the stock harness. i mentioned this in another thread but you might be better served to get an industrial powerstroke that has the electronic running gear mounted to the valve cover and run aftermarket gages.

clp13294

Reaction score
awesome thankyou guys very much, ill see if i can scope around and pick up a rolled truck or something that got tboned or something and see if i cant make somethin happen.

clp13294

Reaction score
you aint shittin lol, everything around here is a rot box. i see 2004-5-6, 6 liters all the time with rotted oil pans, rusted out beds and fender wells and the trucks only got 100-120k on them. but i have found a few possible donor candidates already, one is a 97 f250 cab and frame,wants 1500 for the entire truck i was thinkin about shootin him an email but my truck isnt dead yet and i swore i wouldnt do the conversion til my truck died.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
well while your waiting on your truck to die post some pics up! the one in your sig is tiny

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It probably won't ever die. Mine gets run hard almost all time and was tun hard before I got it. Its suffered from lack of care most of its life and still fires up right away and drags anything I put behind it. Besides new injectors and an ip I've never doe anything more than change the oil.

I suppose I may have also changed the oil cooler orings as well. PS always do them when the motors out. Its a little easier than in frame.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you aint shittin lol, everything around here is a rot box. i see 2004-5-6, 6 liters all the time with rotted oil pans, rusted out beds and fender wells and the trucks only got 100-120k on them. but i have found a few possible donor candidates already, one is a 97 f250 cab and frame,wants 1500 for the entire truck i was thinkin about shootin him an email but my truck isnt dead yet and i swore i wouldnt do the conversion til my truck died.
the actual simplest method to do this swap, is a complete cab swap and engine swap, no pulling harnesses out sfa just undo cab bolts, steering brakes a bit of interior if a 4x or stick shift, disconnect the xhassis harness and swap....dont ask me how i know

clp13294

Reaction score
the actual simplest method to do this swap, is a complete cab swap and engine swap, no pulling harnesses out sfa just undo cab bolts, steering brakes a bit of interior if a 4x or stick shift, disconnect the xhassis harness and swap....dont ask me how i know
i actually knew about this method of swap and i was going to consider it but i just got the whole truck refinished and the last thing i wanna do is swing the freshly painted cab and bed around and stick it onto another frame lol plus the entire frame on my truck was just taken down to bare metal and POR15'd so its a waste of a truck if i stick the body on another frame. i have kinda been beating on the truck hoping it would die, but no luck:backoff its actually not a SLOW truck per say(i left 90 feet of rubber out of the hardware store today on 35 inch BFG A/T's making 13 Pounds of boost) but id rather the powerstroke for sure, they have a lot more options i think. BTW where can i put pics of my truck up? right on my profile?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
BTW where can i put pics of my truck up? right on my profile?

Just post up a new reply in this thread and click add/manage attachments. then a page will load, then click browse to find them on your computer, then click up-load. takes a litte longer if you have dial-up internet.-cuss:backoff

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
i actually knew about this method of swap and i was going to consider it but i just got the whole truck refinished and the last thing i wanna do is swing the freshly painted cab and bed around and stick it onto another frame lol plus the entire frame on my truck was just taken down to bare metal and POR15'd so its a waste of a truck if i stick the body on another frame. i have kinda been beating on the truck hoping it would die, but no luck:backoff its actually not a SLOW truck per say(i left 90 feet of rubber out of the hardware store today on 35 inch BFG A/T's making 13 Pounds of boost) but id rather the powerstroke for sure, they have a lot more options i think. BTW where can i put pics of my truck up? right on my profile?

It is a weekend job to swap EVERYTHING needed from a 94.5-97powerstroke truck into your IDI truck. All you rally need is the engine(engine perches are the same) and the complete harness(it will ALL plug right into your 92-94 truck).
The idi tanks are the same, hell you could most likely even use your entire fuel system right up to the engine, but I would just swap in the PSD stuff just so it all plug and play

clp13294

Reaction score
i attached 2 pics lets see if it worked. but really thats it only a weekend? i figured it would take about 2 weeks lol.

Attachments

• 247425_2075511376123_1495120789_2382807_6408852_n.jpg
    247425_2075511376123_1495120789_2382807_6408852_n.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG0045.jpg
    IMAG0045.jpg
    973.6 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member