IDI swap thread. Post UP!

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I put a 6.9 into a '79 F150... no write up though. Just winged it and it came out pretty damned good. Picture is my avatar. Put a link in your other thread. :D

Last edited:

1800joedaddy

Reaction score
Well yea I figured that,.but what do you want to do,..?

There has been swaps in Broncos, F150,s Crew Cab Chebys and a bad ass Scout.

Just looking for ideas and inspiration. I've read everything and put that with what I've seen personally and think a 2wd 1/2 DD 6.9 getting 30mpg is possible. I just inherited my daughters 76 and it seems a fitting candidate.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
30 mpg isn't gonna happen. With all the best parts available and them all working perfectly together you can look for 22-23. Look into the 4bt Cummins for higher mileage, upwards of 40 mpg if it goes into an F150. I researched and talked to so many people before I built my truck I could go on for a while. The cummins will be fairly expensive though, if you even find one.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Just looking for ideas and inspiration. I've read everything and put that with what I've seen personally and think a 2wd 1/2 DD 6.9 getting 30mpg is possible. I just inherited my daughters 76 and it seems a fitting candidate.

You'd really have to work a lot of stuff to get 25+ mpg's out of the 6.9, but I wouldn't throw the idea completely out the window. A GM 6.2 can get 30 mpg's with a 3.08 and 700r4 overdrive, so a 6.9 shouldn't be too far behind that if you do it right. Granted, there are definitely manufacturing differences in the two engines, but it might be something worth trying for. See how close you can actually get to it anyway... :D

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason i at some point would like to swap one of these babies into an F-250. Not for any particular reason other than just because it would be such an odd ball. So what if the top half sticks above the hood. It will have better cooling :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason i at some point would like to swap one of these babies into an F-250. Not for any particular reason other than just because it would be such an odd ball. So what if the top half sticks above the hood. It will have better cooling :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Ha Ha yes! On the farm we have 3 center pivot irrigation engines that are 5 cylinder air cooled Deutz's, I have always wanted to swap one into an F150, I think it would be all kinds of sweet. I thought of having a scoop in the grill like turbo'd drag cars have. I think they would be close to fitting under the hood of a fullsize. Maybe fab up a new oil pan or get a cowl hood.

Also have one with a newer 3.9 turbo Perkins 4 banger, that would make a good swap candidate also.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha Ha yes! On the farm we have 3 center pivot irrigation engines that are 5 cylinder air cooled Deutz's

Thats what got me turned on to them too. ;Sweet We have one 3 tower center pivot and the pump for it is a 6cyl Deutz. For sitting uncovered outside in the elements for half the year im more than impressed with them. Also they are so easy to work on. I figure swapping one of these would allow me to totally get rid of the radiator support (which is mostly rust here anyway) and just build two sides to hold headlights and turn lights. I can only imagine what a truck with no radiator or grill and just a blower and belts showing would look like going down the road.LOL

This is our pump setup.
You must be registered for see images

We also run a traveler irrigator that has a pump powered by an 89 Ford L8000.:sly We're a little different than most farms.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle