IDI sinister Coolant filter

Bako IDI

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm sorry if there is already a thread on this but I couldn't find it....im new|stupid:idiot: anyways I read up on the coolant filter mod for our IDI's and I'm looking to do it on mine, but I was curious if anyone has done it or know if itll even work, but I like the look of the sinister coolant filter for the 7.3 PSD and 6.0 PSD, and I know the other filter head that everyone uses works great, and your just paying for the cool blue paint....but I like the cool blue paint lol... I suppose I could just paint the filter head blue and thatd be the same thing....any info would be great!:dunno;Sweet

I'm new to the site and just bought a 1992 f250 2wd eclb 7.3 IDI Auto 4in straight pipe with the non-wastegated banks pre-sidewinder turbo. with 243k miles off of a older Mexican fellow, and it is EXTREMELY clean! no stains tears sagging nothing, the seats are even still stiff.. it was a truck I couldn't pass up... I'm not new to diesel, new or old, but this is the first IDI that ive owned that I will be doing mods on....im seeing a D60 swap in the near future if money (wife) allows :rotflmao

also any instructions on how to post a pic, ive been trying to figure it out for about an hour and its been kickin my butt:mad:

THANKS EVEYONE! IM STOKED TO BE PART OF THIS COMMUNITY:cheers:;Sweet

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the reality is, its just a coolant filter.
anyone will work.
I also ran one from a 6leaker, I liked the valves on the filter head. bullet aluminum head.

You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's mine.

It's nothing special. Just choose a head and a filter that work together.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And then the first time you replace the filter, cut it apart and make a gross facial expression about all of the stuff that's in the coolant. Because there's always some there.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's mine.

I rather like this set up. makes me think if it would be better to use the blocked off port at the water pump, and then dump it back into the head.
this would free up some of the heater hose rats nest.
really digging the steel lines tho.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coolant filter mod can be done cheaply with a handful of parts from NAPA. I think there is an article in the "Tech" section that has a parts list for the mod. Super easy to do, maybe a couple hours and that includes time to fab a mounting bracket. And personally I used a couple valves so I could isolate the filter from the system if needed for repair/change filter.

Dang laserjock, your setup puts mine to shame! Nice looking assembly there.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went a little crazy on mine because I needed water for the turbo. I have way more ports than most will need. It should clean up the heater hoses. They will send and receive from the top fittings straight back to the heater core. Water comes out of the pass head as usual into the bottom of the block and returns out the side toward the water pump into the typical port on top of the pump via hose. I don't think I have a good pic of it all plumbed. I ended up pulling the turbo supply water from the back of the drivers head rather than this block to help clean up the hoses a bit. The return from the turbo runs into the block above the outlet to the water pump so it should do its thermo syphon thing just fine.

The lines are actually the same line I ran for my fuel line which was aluminum. I know. Aluminum and coolant don't always mix but it will eat the radiator out long before it will hurt any of this stuff. I've considered running waterless coolant just to keep the system pressure down. Still up in the air there. It is pricey.

Bako IDI

Reaction score
Here's mine.

WOW:sly that looks totally bad@ss! curious tho, do you have a bypass?? I'm not sure, but my thinking is that the filter slows the coolant down and makes for longer warm up times?

oh also what seel did you use on the threads? I heard tephlon gets eaten up quick by the coolant

Bako IDI

Reaction score
the reality is, its just a coolant filter.
anyone will work.
I also ran one from a 6leaker, I liked the valves on the filter head. bullet aluminum head.

I like that, did you do a bypass? hows your warm up times when its cold outside??

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is in bypass mode. The block is a manifold or T if you will. So it is just T'd into the main path. I used Teflon paste on all my plumbing connections. We shall see how it does.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that, did you do a bypass? hows your warm up times when its cold outside??

even without a bypass, a coolant filter will not effect engine warm up.
it will only effect the amount of heat dissipating out of your heater core as the filter plugs up.
but yes mine is T'd into the heater core system. so my heater core will not be effected.

Bako IDI

Reaction score
oh also are you guys keen on the filters that come with DCA already in them, and then just changing them whenever its time to replenish your DCA levels?

Last edited:

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never tried the pre-charged filter myself but the Penray "Need release" filters are intriguing.