IDI Rally Pics!

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
be careful, i hear theyre too "obnoxious". but what i actually find them to be is very sleek and clean-looking compared to the horrid factory ford setup that had a bunch of holes punched in my door and id have to shove the wife in the back seat so i could see out of the passenger side mirror. then we can talk about the wind noise i DONT have anymore...

as for how i did it, just made a template from a "for sale" sign to get a good fit, then cut out a pice of .125 sheet and very carefully welded it in as flush as possible. i also added an angle part for some additional strength. bondo and sand til it follows a perfect factory contour, drill the holes for mounting. it all sounds simple til i realized it took me a couple weeks extra fartin around to get it right, but im happy i did.

Looks awesome, I love them on my dodge so i'd say i'd love them on any of my old fords. Those stock paddle mirrors are bad enough lookin then you got those ones that bolt onto the door skin like I always had. And let me tell you that brick nose CC 4x4 dually is a great lookin truck, and Big Ed is a show stopper as always

blackflag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DieselJohn, where in TN did you go as part of your month long trip? If it's the Smokies, I live in that area in a town called Maryville. Would love to see you guys hold a rally in the beautiful Smoky Mountains one year.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about Daytona bch. fl during bike week bring the trucks and the bikes :sly :sly :sly

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Hey John Great job on the pics, Thanks for taking and posting them! It was great to meet you guys, thanks for showing up and making it another International IDI Rally!

Now we gotta work on getting a Turbo put on that Motor Home!

the obnoxious tow mirrors were a dead giveaway

The Dodge Mirrors on Andy's Trucks are simply Awesome! Clean and Functional both flipped up and down for non towing, You can even still use the vent window. That Is a Mod that I have been wanting to do on Big Ed for years, but just cant handle having to repaint the Doors after the body work, so I will just stick with the Sucky Ford Mirrors for now.

Great job on the whole Rig Andy!

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick1701 View Post
Also who has the red truck w/the tire carrier? I am fraught w/jealousy over your carrier.

http://www.crossenterprises.com/fullsizeford.html

this guy also happens to the the orig owner of Heath's CC 4x4

Thanks, Yea that is my bumper. The Owner of Cross Enterprises was the owner of Heath,s Bullnose Tan and Brown F350. He built that bumper for that truck, Another member here Rob (6.9Oiler) Bought that truck from him a number of years ago out of California, He drove the truck with that bumper but it was not real handy for him with how he used the truck. He made me a deal on it at the 05(I think) Rally and we did a 3 way Bumper Swap at the campground. It has been on my truck ever since. I love it, Dont really need it but it is a Quality built unit, and just really like how it goes on the truck.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
DieselJohn, where in TN did you go as part of your month long trip? If it's the Smokies, I live in that area in a town called Maryville. Would love to see you guys hold a rally in the beautiful Smoky Mountains one year.

What about Daytona bch. fl during bike week bring the trucks and the bikes :sly :sly :sly

I don't see it going to Florida, It is usually held in the Central NE states and will probably continue to be there. As was stated, Next year will be held new Indianapolis IN and Argve, Travis is the 2013 Wagon Master. That is a great location that should pull in a numer of members that couldnt make it all of the way to Michigan this year.

Like Mel said,. Put a steak in the ground for next year and make it a goal to be there. It is hard to express how WORTH IT it is to make it to a Rally. You just gotta DO IT!;Sweet

Paul E350

Reaction score
Great pix...only one thing missing...a regular IDI van... Maybe next year for me. It sure looks like a great crew to spend some time with. I'm still slowly chuggin' away on the van. I just ordered all new door seals and some other necessary stuff. Finally found today the 4th gallon of Fleetcharge Antifreeze at a different Tractor Supply so I can flush the cooling system. Took a long ride today for some other parts, the van showed 15 mpg when I filled it back up after a 175 mile trip, this after getting stuck in a traffic jam for over an hour in the Amherst/Northampton MA area. This was the first long trip the van has been on since 2009 as near as I can tell. No oil consumption yet since I changed it 2 weeks ago, and I've been using her as a daily driver.

Paul

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Very nice van!! Great to see another IDI vanner :D

I'd sure love to find a rust free Florida van like mine, I have a extended '85 with a 6.9 love it, but needs an IP and head gaskets (leaking oil badly). But it's my daily driver and gets me everywhere I wanna go!

Was a plumbing company van from brand new 85 till I bought it in December 2011. And considering it's a 27 year old salt belt queen, it's in great shape! Needed a few patches here and there in the cargo area on the floor, but rockers and everything important is rust free or very solid.

I'm slowly turning this old contractor work van into a 70's ******* wagon.

You must be registered for see images attach

Paul E350

Reaction score
Very nice van!! Great to see another IDI vanner :D

I'd sure love to find a rust free Florida van like mine, I have a extended '85 with a 6.9 love it, but needs an IP and head gaskets (leaking oil badly). But it's my daily driver and gets me everywhere I wanna go!

Was a plumbing company van from brand new 85 till I bought it in December 2011. And considering it's a 27 year old salt belt queen, it's in great shape! Needed a few patches here and there in the cargo area on the floor, but rockers and everything important is rust free or very solid.

I'm slowly turning this old contractor work van into a 70's ******* wagon. [end QUOTE]

////////

That looks really good compared to some of the stuff around here Jon. You'd swear the only thing holding them together is the rust! While researching things I needed to know prior to purchase I saw your videos on youtube and posts here and at another popular diesel forum. You and many others that have shared info made it easy for me to jump on the old IDI. I know next to nothing about these a month ago, thanks to lots of knowledgeable folks here yourself included my purchase has been painless, I know what to look for, and how to solve the problems I found.

One of the biggest issues I'm facing is the van takes in water from the fender seams and under the cowl/firewall area. I took out all the old carpet (it was already trashed) and now planning to do some disassembly and sealing work before winter, and so I can put new carpet in the front. I can't see much sense in spending for carpet until the cab area is tight and leak-free. This kinda ticks me off, however the FL sun is brutal, most of the sealant is dried up and cracked. The door seals are pitiful as well.

At least the running gear is stout, and in good shape, most of what I have to contend with is nickle-and-dime stuff requiring more sweat than dollars. The van is worth it!

Paul

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
After all this im seeing another idi in my future! I miss having one to play with, cummins are expensive toys...

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Thenks for posting some awesome pictures John. It was really cool to hang out and shoot the bull with a neighbor from up north. My stake will be claimed at the '13 rally, thats for sure.

And yes Corey, I made a measley 378 ft. lbs. of torque:rolleyes: That was the first time I have been around a dyno in person, it was quite a thrill and just part of an awesome week.:D Here's to next years rally:cheers::thumbsup: