idi help

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
so i just installed my new moose pump and i have in it injectors that are 3 weeks old. i lined up the timing mark and all that jazz. but however when i reach about 1500 rpms or just take off while driving i notices a knocking sound and some gray smoke. how ever it doesnt do this at idle. anyone have any ideas?

93 7.3l n/a

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you time it with a meter? Sounds like the timing is waaay too advanced to me. My Moose pump makes a lot more smoke at 9.5 degrees of timing than 7.5 degrees of timing.

The marks really mean nothing.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
hmm so i will top off the tank to morow and maybe play with the timing a bit. so try retarding it? i do not have a metter just 2 ears and a wrenchLOL
but would the timing cuase the knock?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Timing could cause a knock.
You sure you got the lines on right?
And by not enough fuel, I meant like a clogged filter, bad pump, etc.
Air intrusion can cause a knock also. No hard starting or stalling?
Cpdenton is correct, the marks don't always mean much.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
And you see the fuel filter is brand new to..hmm..is thre like a shipiing fluid that comes inside the new pumps that could be cuasing this nock?...or just timeing timeing timing? and the knock doesnt occur at idle

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After you've ran it for more than 3-4 minutes, all the fluid has been replaced in the IP. On a cold start when the IP mechanical advance is in play, you should get a little knock like a PSD sounds, when the HI idle shuts off, (engine at 120*) then the knock will disappear and smooth out. But you should get it timed with a meter. What did Mel Agnem say the timing should be set at?
\
Are the injectors NEW or REBUILT?

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
The injectors are reman. And they worked fine with the oldpump..thisproblem is primerly started after i installed the new pump..and the know starts when its just over 1000 rpm

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
UPDATE
while messing around cracking injector lines i realised the knocking stops when i loosen the number 5 cap and rev the engine the knock is gone however the engin misses do to the line being open
so i belive that injector is sticking. anyone have any tips on how to free it? i have already tried tranny fluid in the filter. are there any ther secrets or am i getting a new injector?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I was thinking it was an injector fuel knock. Glad you found the problem injector. Now send back that injector and get another from the seller if possible. Or install one of the old injectors so you can drive it till you replace bad injector. Sounds like the bad injector is opening too soon causing a really advanced fuel knock. Nothine really will fit it either but replacing it will. Sadly your finding out the hard expensive way that ebay used or rebuilt injectors are not very good. So far nobody has been able to rebuild an injector and sell them cheaper than a new set. Just the replacement parks alone will cost more than a new injector and finding all the parts. then pop testing them and shimming the low pop pressure ones is a big task. A good pop tester with filter is going to cost around $300.00 if you can find them. A set of new injectors is a little more than that cost.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
well i belive having the air cover off and things disasembled for a few days while doing the pump job lead something to get in there. i have anew injector coming in tomorow and hopefull should solve the problem. thanks for all! Does anyone know where i can rent a timer though for dynamic timing?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Send a pm to Gary, icanfixall. He rents the good meters.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
alright guys. replaced with another brand new injector.. and still the nock. the nock is only i that cylinder. and it is still nocking there. so i m cluelis and the trucks about to take a swim in lake erie-cuss so does anyone have an idea of what this could be. like i said its just that cylinder.
and i then revved it up after a few miutes and it came back down and stalled. again clueliss

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online