IDI Exhibit

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
no one noticed the 'power gains' to the wheel? 82/143, gained. So lets apply that to a stock idi. Lets say 110/220 to the wheels in stock form, applying some wear and tear on the truck using a 30% loss of power through the driveline. Now you install this $2600 banks kit, and the truck will absolutely make 192/363 to the wheels. Now from the dyno numbers people have shown here, think this is legit? huh? Do you? Way to go banks. Even back in 1995 (obviously stating the year the kit came out) when nothing sucked you still sucked.

mine makes 206 hp and 444 ft lbs. only thing not stock is jr moose pump.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear lots of people talk bad about Banks, but their stuff is high quality even if it isn't "max effort". From all I have seen, they make parts that fit right and you can run full load all day long without worry, unlike the people who have mis-matched parts or too much fuel who MUST drive by the pyro on any incline for fear of melting their engine. They are a big outfit that does lots of R&D and that stuff ain't cheap. Using the above mentioned numbers, you think 80-ish hp isn't very much when added to the stock 110 hp you state? That is nearly double. Am I missing something? For a low power stock engine with no intercooler, how much power do you think can be safely added? When the kit was designed, it was good enough for that day and age. I'm sure things would be different if it were developed now and had a large consumer demand. Everyone is caught up in the huge numbers of todays diesels and forget that the early leaders in this segment made less than 1/2 the power of what modern stuff does. Following the logic above, EVERY kit for IDIs is junk, since they all produce about the same power.
Travis..

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear lots of people talk bad about Banks, but their stuff is high quality even if it isn't "max effort". From all I have seen, they make parts that fit right and you can run full load all day long without worry, unlike the people who have mis-matched parts or too much fuel who MUST drive by the pyro on any incline for fear of melting their engine. They are a big outfit that does lots of R&D and that stuff ain't cheap. Using the above mentioned numbers, you think 80-ish hp isn't very much when added to the stock 110 hp you state? That is nearly double. Am I missing something? For a low power stock engine with no intercooler, how much power do you think can be safely added? When the kit was designed, it was good enough for that day and age. I'm sure things would be different if it were developed now and had a large consumer demand. Everyone is caught up in the huge numbers of todays diesels and forget that the early leaders in this segment made less than 1/2 the power of what modern stuff does. Following the logic above, EVERY kit for IDIs is junk, since they all produce about the same power.
Travis..

And following that logic... IDIs are junk, ha ha, Hp and torque ain't everything. Yep, Banks has good service. I needed a downpipe and at the sugestion of the shop that was doing the welding I could order it myself from summit (nice guy, to save me money). I spent a lot of time with the guy on the phone to make sure he sent the correct part. A week later, the wrong part arrives. Of course, I didn't know this until I drove 30 miles to the shop we opened the box with the truck on the lift. At least Summit cheerfully took the part back. I called up Banks and the guy immediately knew what I needed. Two days later, it arrives from the left coast. Best surprise was, it was no more expensive than the cheapo auto parts store.