IDI Engine Removal

Black dawg

Reaction score
With how heavy these ******** are, you're gonna want to drop the transmission.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

you mean not pull the engine with the trans bolted on, or remove trans then remove engine?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Remove the trans, then the engine.
Takes too much finagling to leave the Trans sitting in the frame. And could cause some more damage. Lol
Forgot to mention. If you have working ac, I would try to leave the system connected.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always pull the hood and clip, its way faster for me, but ive done 20 or so. Never dropped the trans, BUT the stick trucks are VERY tight going by the input, My Buddy unbolted the clutch, let it hang on input , made it real easy.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pullin my engine soon, and im deifnitly pulling the front rad support and hood and fenders. I had the fneders and hood off before and need to rebuild the front rad support anyway.

but it just looks so damn nice and open when you take that crap off and you can finally see the engine and work on stuff easly without having to live in the engine bay.

Black dawg

Reaction score
, BUT the stick trucks are VERY tight going by the input, My Buddy unbolted the clutch, let it hang on input , made it real easy.

Hanging the clutch on the input does work pretty good. On one factory turbo truck I pulled the oil pan and pickup instead of turbo. Came out super easy, and went back in real easy, had pan and block real clean, so was really easy to get the pan siliconed back on. Kinda the backasswards way of doing things, but on that particular truck it worked great.

DieselSacPacker

Reaction score
Ok so this is how i plan on doing it:

1. Remove Hood
2. Remove Radiator
3. Remove fan
4. Remove wiring
5. Remove oil/filter
6. Remove exhaust
7. Disconnect tranny from engine and unbolt clutch and leave on tranny
8. Unbolt motor mounts
9. Pull engine out

The truck is 5 spd and has ats turbo. Is it nessecary to remove turbo? or oil pan/pickup as previously stated?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Ok so this is how i plan on doing it:

1. Remove Hood
2. Remove Radiator
3. Remove fan
4. Remove wiring
5. Remove oil/filter
6. Remove exhaust
7. Disconnect tranny from engine and unbolt clutch and leave on tranny
8. Unbolt motor mounts
9. Pull engine out

The truck is 5 spd and has ats turbo. Is it nessecary to remove turbo? or oil pan/pickup as previously stated?

If you are not planning on pulling the front clip, you do not have to pull the hood, either. These trucks have separate mounts for the hinges and springs, so if you disconnect the springs, you can tie the hood up way high and it will be out of the way. If you are working indoors, there may be a problem with overhead room.

Not necessary to remove turbo first, but very helpful. Don't bother doing anything to the oil pan until the engine is out of the truck.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the head bolts... but I already had my heads off because initially that was all I was going to do. Curious where these guys lift from as well for when I put it back in.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you use an A-frame like I do, you have to remove the hood. I have dented the cowl panel because the chain from the hoist hits the hood and pushes it backwards. Be sure you remove the ground wire/s from the back of the head/s. I've seen them with one or two. It seems like the earlier trucks used two. I just can't remember for sure. As for the body, when I was swapping these for a living, I could r&r a n/a 6.9/7.3 and have it out the door in a 9 hour work day. I just removed the hood, never the transmission, core support, or clip. It didn't matter whether it had a manual or automatic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online